WASHINGTON, D.C. – Junior guard Daryn Alexander (Twinbrook, Md./Richard Montgomery) put up a season-best 18 points Tuesday night in leading the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team to their fifth consecutive win. St. Mary’s College (7-5, 6-0 UEC) remained undefeated in United East Conference action with an 84-53 road victory over the host Gallaudet University Bison (1-14, 1-7 UEC).
How It Happened
- Gallaudet owned the early lead as the Bison opened an 8-2 advantage on a Rory Lewis layup just over five minutes into the game.
- The hosts went ice cold over the next six minutes, allowing St. Mary’s College to turn the tables and establish its first lead of the game at 10:11 (16-8) on layup by first-year guard Elijah Crawford (Oxon Hill, Md./Potomac).
- The Seahawks doubled their lead with 47 seconds left in the first half on a bucket by senior guard Quan Staley (Silver Spring, Md./James Hubert Blake). SMCM headed into the break boasting a 33-19 lead as Lewis closed out the half making a pair of free throws.
- It was all St. Mary’s College in the second stanza, outscoring the Bison, 51-34, over the final 20 minutes.
- The Seahawks’ biggest lead of the contest came halfway through the second half when SMCM grew its advantage to 63-29 on a Mason dunk plus a 1-2 effort at the line.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary’s College shot a second season-best 48.4-percent from the field, including a blistering 56.25-percent in the second half.
- The Seahawks collected 32 points in the paint, 32 points off 25 Gallaudet turnovers, and 31 points from their bench as Staley led the reserves with nine points.
- Alexander made a season-best five field goals, including a season-high three three-pointers, while going a perfect 5-for-5 at the charity stripe.
- Mason finished the game with career-highs of 14 points, six field goals made, and four steals while Crawford contributed 10 points and a game-best seven rebounds plus career-bests of five field goals made and three steals.
- Gallaudet finished the game shooting 32.0-percent from the field, including a dismal 1-of-8 from downtown.
- Enow Otto, Jr. paced the Bison in their eighth loss in a row with 10 points and seven boards.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 28 vs. Penn State Abington (8-8, 2-5 UEC) – St. Mary’s City, Md. – 6:00 p.m.
- Jan. 29 vs. Penn College (4-11, 4-4 UEC) – St. Mary’s City, Md. – 2:00 p.m.