SUFFOLK, Va. – Five Seahawks each scored two goals as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team opened the 2022 campaign with a convincing win Saturday afternoon. St. Mary’s College (1-0) posted a 15-5 non-conference victory over Guilford College (0-1) down at Nansemond Suffolk Academy.
How It Happened
- Senior captain Abe Hubbard (Owings, Md./Northern) put the Seahawks on the board first with back-to-back goals in a three-minute span.
- Gabe Alvarez tallied a man-up goal at 8:23 to cut the deficit in half before sophomore defenseman Ethan Little (Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) and junior midfielder PJ Fenchak (Lutherville, Md./Towson) each found the back of the net in the final four minutes to send St. Mary’s College into the second period with a 4-1 advantage.
- The Seahawks added another four goals over the last 10 minutes of the second quarter to head into halftime with an 8-1 lead. Senior Jack Brocato (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul’s) scored twice in the 4-0 run while first-year Keegan Preis (Upper Falls, Md./Loyola Blakefield) chipped in a goal and an assist.
- Guilford closed the gap to 9-3 at the start of the third frame, sandwiching a goal from junior midfielder Reece Small (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) with tallies from Joseph Hirvonen and Justin Barry.
- Senior midfielder Noah Kellner (Lutherville, Md./Archbishop Curley) made it a seven-goal Seahawk advantage with an unassisted goal with nine seconds to go in the third.
- Fenchak and Kellner struck again a minute apart to stretch the lead to 12-3 at 12:04 in the fourth stanza before the Quakers’ Dimaggio Wilson notched his first goal of the season just 21 seconds later.
- St. Mary’s College tallied three straight, including Small’s second of the day, to go up 15-4 with 2:29 remaining.
- Kyle Smaw picked up Guilford’s final goal with 31 ticks on the clock.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks outshot Guilford, 52-31, and outhustled the Quakers, 39-30, on ground balls.
- St. Mary’s College controlled time of possession by winning 15 of 22 face-offs.
- Neither side had much luck with extra-man opportunities as both went 1-for-7.
- Hubbard and Brocato paced the Seahawks with four points each on two goals and two assists apiece.
- Junior Walker Krizman (Damascus, Md./Damascus) aided SMCM’s offensive punch with three helpers.
- Senior midfielder Sam Jaudon (Catonsville, Md./Catonsville) dominated at the X, winning 11-of-13 face-offs and scooping up seven ground balls.
- Senior captain Kyrle Preis (Upper Falls, Md./Loyola Blakefield) made seven stops and allowed just two goals in 34:26 before junior Ben Robertson (Davidsonville, Md./South River) picked up five saves and a loose ball in the final 25:34.
- Guilford had five players score while Ryan Reed came up with 12 saves in the season-opening loss.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 19 at Elizabethtown (0-0) – Elizabethtown, Pa. / Wolf Field – 12:00 p.m.