LANCASTER, Pa. – A slow start by the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team holds them back from snapping their four-game skid Saturday evening. St. Mary’s College (11-9, 10-4 UEC) was kept under 60 points for the second straight game, falling 84-58 to Lancaster Bible College (17-6, 13-1 UEC) as Lancaster completes the season sweep of the Seahawks.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College’s only lead of the game came at 19:43 of the first half when first-year guard Duane Mason Jr. (Temple Hills, Md./Potomac) got the steal and bucket.
- From there, the host Chargers went on a 45-18 tear to boast their biggest lead of the half, a 27-point advantage at 4:37, before heading into the break up 51-30. Jordan Shewbridge notched 14 points in the first 20 points as Shewbridge was 4-of-5 from downtown while Grant Sareyka and Tyler Hilton each added 11.
- The Seahawks trimmed the deficit to 15 five times throughout the first 11 minutes of the second stanza but would not get any closer as Lancaster Bible owned a margin of 20 or more points for the final five minutes of the contest.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks continue to shoot the ball well from the free throw line, making 16-of-22 tonight for 72.7-percent.
- St. Mary’s College is winless in the six games where the Seahawks have been held to 60 or less points.
- First-year guard Elijah Crawford (Oxon Hill, Md./Potomac) was the only SMCM player to score in double figures as Crawford finished with 11 after going 8-of-11 at the line.
- First-year forward Naz Fisher (Washington, D.C./Washington Latin) grabbed a game-high eight rebounds to help the Seahawks edge Lancaster Bible, 36-33, on the boards.
- The Chargers drained seven three-pointers in the first half before being limited to just one over the final 20 by St. Mary’s College, but finished the game shooting 55.0-percent from the field.
- Shewbridge put up a game-high 23 points while Sareyka finished with 15 and Hilton chipped in 14 in LBC’s ninth consecutive win.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 15 vs. Gallaudet (2-20, 2-12 UEC) – St. Mary’s City, Md. – 6:00 p.m.