ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team poured in a season-high 95 points in snapping their four-game skid Tuesday night. St. Mary’s College (12-9, 11-4 UEC) completed the season series sweep of Gallaudet University (2-21, 2-13 UEC) with a 95-71 win in United East Conference action. The Seahawks remain in third place in the conference standings with tonight’s triumph.
How It Happened
- Gallaudet scored the first two buckets of the contest and owned a 6-4 advantage before junior guard Jordan Goodwin (Baltimore, Md./Milford Mills) sparked a 55-26 run for the Seahawks over the final 15 minutes of the first half.
- Goodwin notched 10 points in the first 20 minutes to lead St. Mary’s College to a 59-32 halftime advantage.
- The Bison opened the second frame with an 17-7 run over the first seven minutes to trim the deficit to 66-49. Corey Smith put up nine of the team’s 17 points in the run.
- The Seahawks reclaimed the driver’s seat and stretched their 17-point advantage to 29 with 7:19 remaining in the game.
- Gallaudet once again closed the gap to a 17-point advantage with 3:38 to go but would get no closer the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary’s College found its stroke from downtown, making nearly 47-percent of its three-pointers. The Seahawks hit 6-of-7 triples in the first half.
- SMCM edged the Bison, 37-34, in rebounds as first-year guard Elijah Crawford (Oxon Hill, Md./Potomac) paced the squad with eight boards. Crawford also led the Seahawks in scoring with 13 points while adding two blocks and two steals.
- Goodwin finished with 12 points and six rebounds while sophomore Gary Grant (Thomas Stone) added 11 points and five rebounds.
- Junior guard Daryn Alexander (Twinbrook, Md./Richard Montgomery) and first-year guard Duane Mason Jr. (Temple Hills, Md./Potomac) each chipped in 10 points to round out St. Mary’s College’s contingent of five players in double digits.
- Smith was the Gallaudet’s scoring leader with a game-high 29 points as the Bison dropped their seventh straight.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 19 vs. Penn State Berks (0-20, 0-14 UEC) – St. Mary’s City, Md. – 2:00 p.m