St. Mary’s City, MD– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (2-0) defeated non-conference opponent New Paltz (2-1) this afternoon (Feb. 20th) to improve to 2-0 on the year. The final score was 8-5.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks were able to start the game fast, scoring four runs in the first inning. Ian Walters and Garrett Pullium both knocked in RBI singles, while the Seahawks were able to bring home two more runners in the inning off of errors from the Hawks. St. Mary’s led New Paltz 4-1 after the first four innings of baseball.
- The scoring continued for St. Mary’s in the sixth inning. Nate Brown got things going by driving in a runner after hitting a single to left field. Ian Walters put an exclamation mark on the inning, hitting a drive out to center field that brought home two more runners in the inning. The Seahawks led New Paltz 7-1 going into the seventh.
- St. Mary’s was able to sneak another runner home off of an error from New Paltz. Myles Pittman was able to steal second, forcing an errant throw, which led Arian Auber to reach home plate.
- New Paltz was able to put together a rally in the later innings, scoring four runs in the eighth, bringing them back to within three points of the Seahawks. Despite the momentum shift, St. Mary’s was able to hold off New Paltz in the ninth inning, solidifying a 8-5 victory. Jake Wills picked up the win on the mound for the Seahawks. Nick Testoni and Nolan Sawatsky made appearances on the mound as well.
Inside the Box Score
- Ian Walters led the way offensively for the Seahawks, driving in three runs off of three hits. Garrett Pullium also had a nice outing with three hits and a RBI.
- Jake Wills earned the win on the mound for the Seahawks, pitching seven innings and striking out seven batters. Nolan Sawatsky struck out three batters in an inning pitched, while Nick Testoni picked up the save and struck out two in an inning pitched.
- Feb 27 vs. Chesapeake College (DH) | 11:00 AM | Wye Mills, MD