Wye Mills, MD– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (2-0) set out on their first road trip of the year this afternoon (Feb. 27) to take on Chesapeake College (2-0) in a non-conference doubleheader. The Seahawks dropped both games in the series, falling in game one 13-4, and dropping game two 8-2. Both of these games did not count towards the Seahawks’ overall record for the 2022 campaign.
How It Happened (Game One)
- St. Mary jumped to an early lead after the first inning thanks to a Cole Tarleton solo home run. That lead was short lived as Chesapeake College was able to score nine runs in the bottom of the first and maintained a 10-1 scoring edge through the second inning.
- The Seahawks began to chip away at their early deficit by scoring three runs in the third inning. Derrick Booker was able to drive a runner home off an RBI single, while Cole Tarleton picked up an impressive RBI triple.The Seahawks were able to cut the Chesapeake College lead to just six.
- Despite the rally, the Seahawks could not get another runner to home plate, while Chesapeake College added three more to their tally to seal a 13-4 victory (six innings) in the first game.
Inside the Box Score
- Cole Tarleton led the way offensively for the Seahawks with three hits and two RBI’s.
- Derrick Booker had a solid outing with a hit and an RBI.
- Ethan Gray, Tommy Brill, Anthony Walsh, and Nick Testoni all shared time on the mound in game one for the Seahawks. Brill was able to strike out four batters, while Walsh struck out two. Nick Testoni struck out a batter in his lone inning of work.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- The scoring started in the second inning for the Seahawks. Ian Walters got things going with a solo homerun, while Brett Rothman made an impressive play later in the inning by stealing home. Ben Atkins was able to steal second on the same play. St. Mary’s led Chesapeake College 2-0 after the second inning.
- The Seahawks were unable to capitalize the rest of the game. Chesapeake College scored two runs in the bottom of the second inning to tie the Seahawks and take momentum. The Skipjacks scored the last six runs of the game to take the second game 8-2 (six innings).
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Ian Walters delivered an impressive home run to get the scoring started for the Seahawks, while Myles Pittman led the team in hits, with two. Pittman, Atkins, and Rothman all got credited for stealing a base in the contest
- Jake Sandbridge, Graham Houck, Jace Jett,and David Baggott all made appearances on the mound in game two. Sandbridge was able to strike out three batters, while Baggott struck out two in a single inning.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 2 vs Catholic University | 3 PM