St. Mary’s City, MD– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (2-2) welcomed The College of Southern Maryland for a St. Mary’s County non-conference matchup this afternoon (Mar. 8). The Seahawks fell to the Hawks 12-10. This game did not count towards the Seahawks record for the 2022 campaign
How It Happened
- The College of Southern Maryland scored the first two runs of the game before St. Mary’s began to go on a run. Ian Walters was able to score on a wild pitch to give the Seahawks their first tally of the afternoon in the bottom of the second inning. The Seahawks captured their first lead of the afternoon following a sacrifice fly from Max Elliot and a RBI single from Brian Sanders. The Seahawks led the Hawks 3-2 after three innings of baseball.
- The Seahawks went on an offensive run in the middle innings of the ball game. Myles Pittman was able to bring a runner home off of a sacrifice fly, while St. Mary’s was able to capitalize on a pair of wild pitches from Southern Maryland, as well as a pair of walks. The Seahawks led after six innings by a score of 9-2.
- Southern Maryland was able to claw their way back into the game and take the lead after a big seventh and eighth inning of play that saw them score 10 unanswered runs. St. Mary’s began to rally in the bottom of the eight inning with a Brett Rothman RBI single to deep center. Just when it felt like the Seahawks were going to take back momentum, the game was unfortunately called final due to darkness.
Inside the Box Score
- Derrick Booker led the way for the Seahawks in hits with two. Myles Pittman was able to produce two RBI’s on the day, while Ian Walters stole an impressive four bases.
- Tommy Brill got the nod for the Seahawks and pitched five innings, while striking out two batters. Jace Jett, Anthony Walsh, and Gavin Wathen all made appearances on the mound for St. Mary’s. Walsh was able to strike out a batter.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 15 vs St. Joseph’s College (DH) | 12PM & 3PM