Beginning in April, Medicare is issuing new member cards along with new identification numbers to protect senior citizens from identity theft. What you need to know about your new card:
• Medicare will begin mailing the cards to beneficiaries in April.
• You don’t need to do anything special to receive your new card.
• The new cards will feature a randomly assigned Medicare Beneficiary Identifier made up of 11 letters and numbers.
• Your benefits won’t change with the new identification number.
• Do not give out your new assigned number. Scams relating to the new cards are surfacing where callers are being told they must pay for the new card and asked to provide their checking account and Medicare card numbers.