Agency halts processing questionable tax returns at 24 locations
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (March 27, 2018) –Comptroller Peter Franchot announced today that his agency has stopped processing electronic tax returns from 20 more tax preparers at 24 locations in Maryland, Virginia, Texas and California. The immediate suspensions were due to a high volume of questionable returns received. This adds to the list of 34 preparers previously flagged since the 2018 tax season began in January. The complete list of blocked preparers is available on ourwebsite.
“Stopping unscrupulous tax preparers from swindling hardworking Maryland taxpayers out of their money is my agency’s top priority each tax season,” Comptroller Franchot said. “My Questionable Return Detection Team constantly monitors tax filings looking for corrupt preparers submitting false returns, hurting individuals and their families.”
The businesses were sent written notice of the action after they were identified by the Comptroller’s nationally recognized fraud unit using state-of-the-art technology that detects suspicious returns. The agency has a review process that provides an opportunity for blocked preparers to have their filing privileges restored.
The tax preparers and locations blocked from filing returns through this action are:
- KC and Son Tax Service, 4831 Belair Road, Baltimore, MD 21206
- OAS, 13127 Wonderland Way, Suite 2, Germantown, MD 20874
- Immaculate Money LLC, 1612 Shady Glen Drive, District Heights, MD 20747
- Geneva Sanders, 504 Placid Court, Apt. K, Odenton, MD 21113, and 202 Easton South, Apt. 2, Laurel, MD 20724
- Brightway Professionals and Associates, 4810 St. Barnabas Road, Suite 201, Temple Hills, MD 20748
- All Choice Tax & Payroll Services, Inc., 1401 Mercantile Lane, Suite 200K, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774
- Keystone Tax Solutions K2, 6323 Brown Ave., Baltimore, MD 21224
- New Valley & Co., also known as Prologix Tax, 11140 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852, and 5929 Schering Road, Baltimore, MD 21206
- BOFMOT, 9208 Fairlane Place, Laurel, MD 20708
- Bencok One Inc., 5623 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD 21215
- Annoited [sic] Tax & Consulting Service, also known as ATP Too, 100 West Road, Suite 100, Towson, MD 21204, and 2717 Landvale Ave, Baltimore, MD 21218
- Alcantara Driving School Corp., 1620 Elton Road, Suite 201, Silver Spring, MD 20903 and 1310 Merrimac Driver, Silver Spring, MD 20903
- Ardy Sowe Tax Service, 7703 Loughborough Place, Beltsville, MD 20705
- Freedom Tax Services, 1268 E North Ave., Baltimore, MD 21202
- Rhodes & O’Neil Accounting, 1108 East Main St., Suite 702, Richmond, VA 23219
- Safe STEM Institute, 22054 Shaw Road, Suite B, Sterling, VA 20164
- Double R Taxes, 2318 N Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218
- Precise Financial, 8950 Westpark Drive, Suite 102A, Houston, TX 77063
- Gabriel Ajak, 9304 Forest Lane, Suite 5108, Dallas, TX 75243
- Michael Smith, 1719 E Jefferson Ave., Pomona, CA 91767
In 2016 and 2017, the Comptroller’s Office blocked suspicious tax returns at 95 tax preparation businesses in 113 locations. Since taking office in 2007, the Comptroller’s team has identified and blocked more than 88,000 fraudulent returns and intercepted and denied $190.2 million worth of fraudulent refunds.A complete list of all tax preparers blocked from filing returns is available atwww.marylandtaxes.com.
If taxpayers suspect fraud, they are asked to immediately report the issue to the Comptroller’s Office by calling 1-800-MD-TAXES (1-800-638-2937) or 410-260-7980 in Central Maryland email@example.com.