The Washington Nationals will celebrate Opening Day and their first home game of the 2018 season on Thursday, April 5 at 1:05 p.m. when the team hosts the New York Mets.
The Nationals want all fans to enjoy the entirety of the Opening Day experience, and are encouraging fans to plan ahead and come to the ballpark early. Fans are encouraged to enter the ballpark through the gate closest to their seating area to avoid congestion at the Center Field Gate. ALL GATES will open at 11:00 a.m.
THURSDAY, APRIL 5
The Opening Day pregame ceremony will include:
· Ceremonial first pitch thrown byDeputy First Class Blaine Gaskillof the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office and Great Mills High School, where Gaskill heroically brought the March 20 active shooter incident to a quick end
· Our nation’s colors presented by theU.S. Armed Forces Color Guard from the Military District of WashingtonandDrummers from the U.S. Navy Band, Washington Navy Yard
· National Anthemperformed by theU.S. Army Chorus Quartet
· Flyover by theVFA-32 Swordsmen from Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia Beach, Va., in F/18 Super Hornet Jets
· Lineup card delivery byMaame Biney, the Olympic short track speedskater who competed in the 500m and 1500m events at the 2018 PyeongChang Games and was raised in Reston, Va., andNoah Grove, a Frederick, Md., native and gold medalist in sled hockey at the 2018 Paralympic Games in PyeongChang
·Play Ball!announced byThe Honorable Muriel Bowser, Mayor of the District of Columbia,joined byParker Curry
· God Bless Americaperformed bySophia Nadder
· Award presentations including the Baseball Writers’ Association of America 2017 National League Cy Young Award presented toRHP Max Scherzer, the 2017 Silver Slugger Award presented to2B Daniel Murphy, and the 2017 Players Choice Award for NL Comeback Player of the Year presented to1B Ryan Zimmerman
*If you are interested in covering the Opening Day pregame ceremony, you MUST contact Chris Browne atChristopher.Browne@nationals.comby Wednesday, April 4 at 2 p.m.*
OPENING DAY FAN PROMOTIONS & EVENTS
· The first 25,000 fans to enter the ballpark throughALL GATESwill receive a 2018 Schedule T-shirt presented by GEICO.
·DJ Flexxwill perform in Center Field Plaza from the time gates open until a half hour prior to first pitch.
·Jeff From Accountingwill perform at the Budweiser Terrace from the time gates open until a half hour prior to first pitch.
· DJ Stylus Chriswill perform at the First Base Gate from the time gates open until a half hour prior to first pitch.
· Nationals Park OrganistMatthew Van Hoosewill perform from the NatMobile on the timeline walk outside Home Plate Gate, from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
· The Family Picnic Area will feature caricature artists, face painters, and balloon twisters from the time gates open until 1:30 p.m.
· Coca-Cola will provide complimentary samples as fans exit the ballpark through the Center Field Gate, while supplies last.
Fans can still obtain advance tickets for Opening Day by purchasing a NATS PLUS Membership atnationals.com/NatsPlus. Individual tickets are extremely limited. Additional tickets may be released up until game time, and fans are encouraged to checknationals.com/Ticketsfor availability. In addition, a limited number of Grandstand seats will be available for $15 at the Main Box Office starting at 11:00 a.m. on the day of the game. Only one ticket per customer for Grandstand Seating is allowed and the customer must be present at the time of purchase.
CURLY W LIVE
Want to listen to exclusive podcasts, and see more photos, videos, and fun features about your favorite Nationals players? Want to learn more about what is happening at Nationals Park and what the team is doing in the community? Nationals fans are encouraged to check out Curly W Live, the official blog of the Washington Nationals, by visitingcurlyw.mlblogs.com. Be sure to create a Medium account and follow Curly W Live in order to receive notifications when new content is published!
GETTING TO THE BALLPARK
Parking options for Nationals fans start at $20 and are available online atnationals.com/Parking. Fans are encouraged to purchase parking in advance to ensure a space in their desired zone.
Fans using Metro to travel to or from Nationals Park are encouraged to review the Metro schedule atwmata.com/schedules.
Fans should also consider alternate forms of travel to and from the ballpark, including the D.C. Circulator from Union Station, biking to the ballpark, or the baseball boat from Alexandria. Visitnationals.com/WayToGofor information on parking and transportation options to Nationals Park. To receive up-to-date WMATA service notifications on a mobile device, fans are encouraged to register for Alert DC at http://hsema.dc.gov/page/alertdc.
Fans traveling to the ballpark should be aware that there are construction projects underway in the surrounding area. To ensure safe crossings, please be mindful of signage and directions given by public safety officers.
Nationals Park is a completely non-smoking and tobacco-free facility per District of Columbia law. There is no exception for electronic cigarettes or any other type of smoking device, or for smokeless tobacco or any other type of tobacco product.
MLB and the Nationals require that all people entering Nationals Park walk through a metal detector or be screened with handheld metal detectors to search for prohibited items. This includes a thorough inspection of all jackets, coats, packages, bags, backpacks, purses, and any other containers brought to any of the Nationals Park entry gates.
For game tickets and more information, call 202.675.NATS(6287) or visitnationals.com/Tickets.