St. Mary’s City, Md. – Redshirt sophomore infielder Jay Hammett(Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) connected on a game-best three hits Thursday afternoon but the St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team succumbed to an 11-8 setback at the hands of Wesley College. The Seahawks (9-12, 2-9 CAC) rallied late but came up short and Wesley (9-16, 3-8 CAC) earned the season series split.
How It Happened
- Wesley jumped out to a 5-0 through the first three innings, keyed by Chris Seibert’s RBI triple in the first, two sacrifice flies and a bases loaded walk in the third.
- The Seahawks cut the deficit to 5-3 in their half of the third inning behind RBI singles by first-year outfielder Sam James (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) and senior catcher Sean Goodie (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) while James came home on a wild pitch.
- St. Mary’s then evened up the game with two runs in the fifth as first-year infielder Andy Collins (Arlington, Va./Washington-Lee) scored on a sacrifice fly by fellow classmate Joey Bryner (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken) and then Hammettcrossed home plate on a Wesley error.
- The Wolverines regained a two-run lead in the sixth behind William Foster’s two-run, one-out home run. Wesley then stretched its lead to four with two more in the eighth thanks to a pair of RBI singles.
- The Seahawks pulled within two once again with two runs of their own in the eighth as well. James connected on his second RBI single of the game and then crossed home plate on an error.
- Wesley doubled its lead yet again in the ninth as Jordan Marucci and Chris Bramble each drove in a run with singles.
- Cody Simet came in relief for the Wolverines in the final inning and forced the first two St. Mary’s batters to fly out before junior Holden Marshall (Towson, Md./Friends) notched a pinch hit double and then first-year pinch runner Hugh Clark(Lusby, Md./Patuxent) came home on a RBI single by junior outfielder Dakota Merritt (Lexington Park, Md./Great Mills). Simet then got the fifth batter of the inning to ground out to end the game.
- Hits: St. Mary’s 15, Wesley 15
- Errors: St. Mary’s 2, Wesley 2
- Left on Base: St. Mary’s 9, Wesley 14
St. Mary’s Offensive Leaders
- Jay Hammett: 3-for-5, 1 run scored
- Sam James: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
- Andy Collins: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored
- Dakota Merritt: 2-for-5, 1 RBI
- Connor Coursey: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 triple
Wesley Offensive Leaders
- Jordan Marucci: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 stolen base
- Chris Seibert: 2-for-3, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 triple, 1 hit by pitch, 1 sacrifice fly
- Chris Bramble: 2-for-4, 1 RBI, 2 hit by pitch, 1 stolen base
- Will Barton: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 walk, 2 stolen bases
- Jarrett Wallace: 2-for-5, 1 RBI, 1 stolen base
- Michael Piccirillo: 2-for-6, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
St. Mary’s Pitching
- Griffin Honse: 4.0 IP, 6 hits, 4 earned runs, 4 walks, 1 strikeout
- Tim Hand: 3.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 0 strikeouts (L, 0-3)
- Will Spanoghe: 1.0 IP, 4 hits, 1 earned run, 0 walks, 1 strikeout
- Matt Henigan: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
- Alex Marrs: 8.0 IP, 13 hits, 5 earned runs, 0 walks, 7 strikeouts (W, 2-3)
- Cody Simet: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
Inside the Box Score
- Junior RHP Tim Hand (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) dropped to 0-3 on the season after throwing three innings of relief and allowing three hits and two earned runs with one walk.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 14 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (21-7, 7-3 CAC) – Hawk’s Nest – CAC doubleheader – Noon
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Nairem Moran · email@example.com