Improper disposal of leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients can pollute the environment and pose a threat to human health.
Residential household hazardous waste (HHW) collection is held the first Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at theDepartment of Public Worksin La Plata.
Items accepted free of charge include:
- Automotive fluids (transmission fluids, brake fluid, etc.)
- Cleaning supplies
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs)
- Diesel Fuel
- Fluorescent tubes
- Oil-based paint
- Pool chemicals
- Rust removers
- Other poisonsthat are around your home
Items Not Accepted:
- Bio/Medical wastes (sharps, needles, body fluids)
- Commercial hazardous waste
- Latex paint (Latex Paint is not toxic and once solidified,made into a solid, can be disposedof in your household trash.)
- Prescription and non-prescription drugs (Prescription and non-prescription drugscan be dropped offat aparticipating “Drug Take Back” pharmacy,the Charles County Sheriff’s La Plata and Waldorf Stations, 24 hours a dayand at the Charles County Sheriff’s Bryans Road Stationby appointmentfor safe disposal.Liquids or syringes will not be accepted).
Please keep the materials in their original containers whenever possible and bring them to the collection site in cardboard boxes to ease unloading. Reusable containers will be emptied and returned. Commercially generated hazardous waste is strictly prohibited.
Latex paint is not hazardous wasteandshould notbe brought to HHW collections.
For additional information, please view ourHousehold Hazardous Waste brochure.