ANNAPOLIS, Md- Commissioning Week honors the First Class Midshipmen upon completion of four years at Naval Academy. Parents, family members and guests are invited to attend a series of events at the Naval Academy in honor of the graduates.
Monday, May 21- MIDSHIPMEN COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS CEREMONY – USNA in Memorial Hall
- (Please note: Very limited seating available):Midshipmen will be honored for their volunteerism within the community. Numerous local community organization leaders will be represented. Midshipmen volunteer over 26,000 hours to the community annually.
Monday, May 21 – HERNDON MONUMENT CLIMB – USNA in front of Chapel
- Members of the fourth class (freshmen or “plebes”) will climb the 21-foot obelisk in order to retrieve a white plebe “dixie cup” hat on top of the monument and replace it with an upperclassman’s hat.
Tuesday, May 22- BLUE ANGELS PRACTICE- Over the Severn River
- The Blue Angels will rehearse their performance for the following day.
Wednesday, May 23- BLUE ANGELS PERFORMANCE- Over the Severn River
- The U.S. Navy’s Flight Demonstration Squadron’s Blue Angels will perform a variety of high-speed, aerobatic precision-maneuvers in an approximate two-hour performance over the Severn River. Best viewing areas are from Ingram Field (narration can be heard from this area), portions of Farragut Field and Hospital Point on Naval Academy grounds. Spectators from other viewing areas can tune-in to WNAV-AM (on 1430 AM and 99.9 FM) to hear the broadcast of the narration.
Thursday, May 24- Color Parade USNA on Worden Field
- (Please note: Seating available only ticket holders): The highlight of the Color Parade is the formal presentation of the color company pennant by the superintendent, the company commander and the “color honoree,” to the newly designated spring color company. Each semester, the color company is designated by virtue of its excellence in academics, athletics and professional accomplishments throughout the semester. The color company competition began in 1867.
Friday, May 25–Graduation and Commissioning Ceremony at Navy/Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
NOT OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC (By invitation only)
Speaker: President Donald Trump
- The commissioning and graduation ceremony is the culmination of the four-year education and training of the men and women of the Class of 2018. Each graduate receives a Bachelor of Science degree and takes the oath of office as they are each commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Navy or as a 2nd lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Commissioning Week press releases and additional media information will be posted online and available through www.usna.edu/PAO. Photos of these events will be available through the Naval Academy’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/USNavalAcademy, and Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/unitedstatesnavalacademy/sets/.
For additional Commissioning Week information, please visit: https://www.usna.edu/CommissioningWeek/index.php.
For more information about the Naval Academy, visit www.usna.edu.