At the meeting on Tuesday, June 5, the Board of Commissioners reviewed and approved a lease agreement with the Southern Maryland Sabres Hockey Club to rent additional space at the Capital Clubhouse. The club will pay $9,000 annually for the next five years, for a meeting room to store equipment and host activities.
Open Session Briefings
County Administrator Michael D. Mallinoff, Esq., ICMA-CM, presented important highlights from the March and April monthly reports, which included good news, progress reports, and performance measurements for each of the county’s departments. During this time, the Department of Planning and Growth Management was reorganized to improve efficiency and service delivery, and the fiscal 2019 budget was proposed, discussed, and approved by Commissioners.
Staff from the Department of Fiscal and Administrative Services proposed a legislative change that would establish 16 years as the minimum age that a volunteer firefighter can earn points toward qualifying for the length of service award program benefits. Commissioners approved introduction of the legislation and a public hearing is scheduled onTuesday, July 24 at 6 p.m.
Commissioners held a work session on the Bryans Village Zoning Map Amendment #48-40. This map amendment would permit a mix of both single-family detached units and townhomes. Commissioners decided to schedule a follow-up work session and requested that the applicant attend to address concerns raised by residents.
Commissioners approved collective bargaining agreements with the following groups:
- Local 4658 International Association of Firefighters – Professional Paramedics and EMTs
- Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 24
- Charles County Correctional Officers Association
Commissioners also approved:
- A change order in the amount of $348,000 to pay for construction surveillance related to closed loop system improvements at the Mattawoman Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- A letter of intent for a County Library Capital Grant to help fund the relocation of a library in La Plata. Commissioners have already designated $2,998,000 in capital funds for the replacement of the La Plata branch of the library.
- A letter of request to Safeway, Inc. to ask for their support for the exploration of a retail, hospitality, and culinary training center at their vacated space in the Bryans Road Shopping Center. Charles County Government and College of Southern Maryland are partnering together to launch this local workforce development opportunity.
- Commissioners appointed Danielle Staudt as a citizen member to the Library Board of Trustees.
- Commissioners reappointed Melissa Riner as an at-large member to the Charles County Pension Plan Committee.
- Watershed Protection and Restoration Program, Financial Assurance Plan:Staff reviewed plans that demonstrate the county’s sources of funding and progress toward implementing federal requirements for 20 percent impervious surface restoration by 2020. Commissioners received public comments on the plan.
- Commissioners presented a proclamation recognizing June as Elder Abuse Awareness Month. This recognition aims to raise awareness of the problem of physical, emotional, and financial abuse of the aging population and honors the efforts of those who are working on behalf of senior citizens to ensure their health, safety, and wellbeing. View photo inFlickr.
- Emergency Services employees received a proclamation from Commissioners in recognition ofJune 15as Emergency Medical Services for Children Day. This recognition acknowledges that the emergency medical needs of children are different than adults and expresses appreciation for the training and experience that these professionals bring when providing emergency pediatric care. View photo inFlickr.
- Representatives the Charles County Sheriff’s Office and Special Olympics received a proclamation recognizing June 7 as the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics. All funds raised from the event will be donated to the Special Olympics. View photo inFlickr.
- Commissioners recognized the following individuals with Life Safety Awards:
o Lifeguards Madison Tompkins, Walter Hickey, Liam Vienneau, and Cameron Langley received Citizen Life Safety Awards.
o Public Works employee Fred Fox received a Citation of Merit.
o EMT Chris Schultz, Paramedic Corey Wright, Paramedic Wayne Sanders, Paramedic Frankie Hannah, and Paramedic Brent Debusk received Life Safety Awards.
Read about the specific actions they tookwhich saved lives in Charles County this year.
- Commissioners recognized county employees who achieved milestones in years of service and acknowledged all new employees who recently began working for the county.
Next Commissioners Meeting:Tuesday, June 19
For More Information:
Commissioners meetings are aired on CCGTV, which broadcasts on Comcast channel 95 and Verizon channel 10, and are available for streaming atwww.CharlesCountyMD.gov/media-services/ccgtv/ccgtv. Materials and minutes of the Commissioners meeting will be posted atwww.boarddocs.com/md/chrlsco/Board.nsf/Publicupon approval.
About Charles County Government
The mission of Charles County Government is to provide our citizens the highest quality service possible in a timely, efficient and courteous manner. To achieve this goal, our government must be operated in an open and accessible atmosphere, be based on comprehensive long- and short-term planning and have an appropriate managerial organization tempered by fiscal responsibility. We support and encourage efforts to grow a diverse workplace. Charles County is a place where all people thrive and businesses grow and prosper; where the preservation of our heritage and environment is paramount; where government services to its citizens are provided at the highest level of excellence; and where the quality of life is the best in the nation.
It is the policy of Charles County to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religious or political affiliation or opinion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by law.