Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 Is a Drag-oriented, Street-legal Muscle Car Designed With the Grassroots Drag Racer in Mind
- Named for the quarter-mile distance (1,320 feet), the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is powered by the stalwart 392 HEMI® V-8 that delivers 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to the legendary TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, delivering reliable and cost-effective performance – run after run
- Infused with exclusive drag strip technology from the iconic Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is a blank canvas for the serious grassroots drag racer with standard features, including SRT-tuned Adaptive Damping Suspension with Drag Mode, Line Lock, TransBrake, Torque Reserve and extreme-duty 41-spline half shafts
- Standard interior features a driver’s seat only to help reduce weight; front passenger seat and rear seat are available as individual $1 options
- Specially developed Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec 275/40R20 street-legal drag radial tires deliver maximum grip and offer repeatable quarter-mile times
- Quarter-mile (1,320 feet) elapsed time (E.T.) of 11.7 seconds at 115 mph makes the showroom-stock 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 the fastest naturally aspirated, street-legal muscle car available
- A new interpretation of the legendary Dodge Super Bee logo, the “Angry Bee,” marks the front fenders, illuminated Air Catcher headlamps, instrument panel and startup splash screen in the gauge cluster
- Custom “Black Eye” high-impact exterior paint being used on the launch vehicle to gauge interest as potential future production exterior color
- Special 1320-themed paint scheme on the Mopar Dodge Top Fuel dragster driven by Don Schumacher Racing star Leah Pritchett will help commemorate the unveiling of the new Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 during the Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals Powered by Mopar, July 20-22 at Bandimere Speedway in Denver
July 19, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. – Dodge//SRT engineers are regulars at the drag strip and well known for creating the record-setting Challenger SRT Demon. Now, once again, they are using their proven experience to create a new street-to-strip drag car. The result: the drag-oriented, street-legal 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320, unveiled today in Denver prior to the Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals Powered by Mopar, taking place July 20-22 at Bandimere Speedway.
Named for the quarter-mile distance (1,320 feet), the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is powered by the 392 HEMI® V-8 that delivers 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to the quick-shifting TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission with class-exclusive TransBrake. It is equipped with specially developed Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec 275/40R20 street-legal drag radial tires that deliver maximum grip and offer repeatable quarter-mile times.
With a quarter-mile (1,320 feet) elapsed time (E.T.) of 11.7 seconds at 115 miles per hour (mph), the showroom-stock 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is the fastest naturally aspirated, street-legal muscle car available.
“All it takes is an evening spent at a local drag strip to learn that the grassroots drag-racing community is large and extremely loyal to their cars,” says Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands – Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA – North America. “We created the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 for the heart of the sport, the bracket racer who wants to drive to the track, suit up, go fast and go home with a big smile and maybe a trophy in the trunk with minimal prep and upkeep.”
Bracket racing is one of the most popular forms of drag racing. It challenges competitors to race the clock, as well as each other, rewarding launch skill, consistency and racing within the preselected time target without “busting the bracket” by going too fast.
To that base, Dodge//SRT engineers added drag specific components and technologies to deliver a street-to-strip value package while producing quick launches when the Christmas tree goes green. Features include:
- TorqueFlite 8HP70 eight-speed automatic transmission – required equipment for the R/T Scat Pack 1320, replacing the standard manual transmission on the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
- TransBrake – locks the output shaft of the automatic transmission to hold the car stationary before a standing start
- Torque Reserve – works in conjunction with the TransBrake and Launch Control by managing fuel flow to cylinders and controlling spark advance or retard to balance engine rpm and torque to maximize power delivery and launch performance
- Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec 275/40R20 street-legal drag radials – all-new specially developed tires that deliver exceptional grip at the drag strip and on the street
- Preproduction testing shows that the Nexen tires demonstrate consistent run times with minimal burnout preparation at the drag strip
- SRT-tuned three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension (ADS) electronically retuned for the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
- Includes Drag Mode that, when engaged, optimizes weight transfer to the rear for best launch traction
- Standard interior configuration has driver’s seat only to help reduce weight by approximately 114 pounds; front passenger seat and rear seat are available individually as $1 options
- Performance-tuned asymmetrical limited-slip differential with 3.09 final drive
- Extreme-duty 41-spline rear axle half shafts adopted from the Challenger SRT Demon
- Line Lock – engages the front brakes to hold the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 stationary, but leaves the rear wheels free for a burnout to heat up and clean the rear tires
- Launch Assist – uses wheel speed sensors to watch for driveline-damaging wheel hop at launch and, in milliseconds, modifies the engine torque to regain full grip
- Launch Control – controls tire slip during straight-line acceleration
- Low Gloss Black 20 x 9.5-inch aluminum-forged wheels with knurled bead seats to minimize tire slip on the wheel
- Brembo High-performance Brake Package with four-piston calipers
The Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 comes with the 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen that enables the driver to engage Launch Control and Line Lock within the Performance Control app. It also lets the driver select modes, including Drag Mode and Adaptive Damping Suspension, while working with the steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles to activate the TransBrake.
As drag racers know, the results tell the story. In drag strip testing compared with a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack, the 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 shaves .3 seconds off the quarter-mile time to 11.7 seconds at 115 mph and cuts .3 seconds off the 0-60 mph acceleration time to 3.8 seconds.
Inside, the 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is equipped with a long list of comfort and convenience equipment, including dual-zone automatic temperature control, electric power steering, power driver’s seat, keyless Enter ‘n Go, ParkSense rear park assist and ParkView rear backup camera.
A new interpretation of the legendary Dodge Super Bee logo, the “Angry Bee,” marks the front fenders, instrument panel, illuminated Air Catcher headlamps, startup splash screen in the instrument gauge cluster and key fob.
The Dodge//SRT team painted the first Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 a custom concept exterior color called “Black Eye,” following a survey of enthusiast attendees at the annual FCA-sponsored “Spring Festival 13” event in southern California earlier this year. The high-impact color was the top vote-getter from among 15 new concept exterior paints shown at the event and a subsequent online survey of FCA employees. Dodge//SRT will gauge feedback of the concept exterior color for future consideration.
To help commemorate the unveiling of the new Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320, there will be a special 1320-themed paint scheme on the Mopar Dodge Top Fuel dragster driven by Don Schumacher Racing star Leah Pritchett.
The 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 Package adds $3,995 to the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $38,995 for the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. The mandatory automatic transmission adds $1,595 and the destination charge adds $1,395. The 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 will be available for dealer orders in late 2018; vehicles are scheduled to start arriving in dealership in the first quarter of 2019.
Fourteen different distinct Dodge//SRT colors available across Challenger lineup
Dodge Challenger customers have a wide array of exterior colors and stripes from which they can choose to customize their muscle car. Fourteen different exterior colors are available:
- B5 Blue
- Destroyer Grey
- F8 Green
- Go Mango
- Granite Crystal
- Indigo Blue
- Maximum Steel
- Octane Red
- Pitch Black
- Plum Crazy
- Triple Nickel (NEW)
- White Knuckle
- Yellow Jacket
Dodge//SRT offers a complete lineup of performance vehicles that stand out in their own segments. Dodge is America’s mainstream performance brand and SRT is positioned as the ultimate performance halo of the Dodge brand, together creating a complete and balanced performance brand with one vision and one voice.
For more than 100 years, the Dodge brand has carried on the spirit of brothers John and Horace Dodge, who founded the brand in 1914. Their influence continues today. New for 2019, the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is possessed by the Demon. Its 797-horsepower supercharged HEMI® high-output engine makes it the most powerful, quickest and fastest muscle car reaching 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 3.4 seconds and the fastest GT production car with a ¼-mile elapsed time (ET) of 10.8 seconds at 131 mph. It also reaches a new top speed of 203 mph. Joining the Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with its more powerful 717-horsepower engine, the Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody, which features fender flares from the SRT Hellcat Widebody and adds 3.5 inches of width to Scat Pack’s footprint, as well as and the new Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320. Infused with exclusive drag strip technology from the iconic Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is a drag-oriented, street-legal muscle car and a blank canvas for the serious grassroots drag racer. The 2019 Dodge Durango SRT, America’s fastest, most powerful and most capable three-row SUV with a best-in-class tow rating of 8,700 lbs. fills out the brands’ performance lineup. These visceral performance models join a 2019 brand lineup that includes the Durango, Grand Caravan, Journey, Charger and Challenger — a showroom that offers performance at every price point.