By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary’s City, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team and the University of Mary Washington played Wednesday afternoon to host the other in the first round of the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Field Hockey Championship Tournament. Mary Washington (10-5, 2-3 CAC) just edged the Seahawks (7-8, 1-4 CAC), 1-0, for the right to host Sunday afternoon.
As the No. 5 seed, St. Mary’s will head to Fredericksburg, Virginia, on Sunday, October 28 to face the fourth-seeded Eagles at 2:00 p.m.
St. Mary’s 0, Mary Washington 1
How It Happened
- Mary Washington posted a 13-8 advantage in shots while earning a 5-3 margin in penalty corners.
- The lone goal of the afternoon came in the 19th minute. Gillian Rossripped a shot towards the cage which bounced off the pads of first-year goalkeeper Skylar Limpert (Bel Air, Md./North Harford) and landed at the feet of Sydney Keating, who sent it right back for her second score of the season.
- Senior Mollie Belson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) and first-year midfielder Gabrielle Corder (Sudlersville, Md./Queen Anne’s) paced the Seahawks with two shots each, combining for three of the team’s four shots on goal.
- In her first career start and first full game of the season, Limpertmade a season-best seven saves.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Limpert (7 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
For Mary Washington
- Scorers: Keating (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Jessica Cavolt (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Mary Washington improves to 26-6 in the series, which began in 1994. This marks the Eagles’ 11th straight win over St. Mary’s. The Seahawks’ last victory over UMW was a 1-0 decision in 2010 down in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 28 at Mary Washington – Fredericksburg, Va. – 2:00 p.m.