By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Newport News, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team clinched the second seed in the upcoming 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Men’s Soccer Championship Tournament. The Seahawks (11-3-3, 4-2-1 CAC) suffered a 2-1 setback Wednesday night at the hands of Christopher Newport University (7-8, 3-4 CAC).
As the No. 2 seed, St. Mary’s will host seventh-seeded Penn State Harrisburg on Saturday, October 27 at 2:00 p.m. in Seahawk Stadium. The Seahawks posted a 4-1 win over Harrisburg just four days ago on Senior Day as junior midfielder Brad Moore (Crofton, Md./South River) and sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Roosevelt) each scored twice.
St. Mary’s 1, Christopher Newport 2
How It Happened
- It was a physical and chippy game as fouls were even at 23 apiece and the referee gave out eight cards, including a red card in the 29th minute.
- St. Mary’s went to work right away, jumping on the scoreboard in the third minute. Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) tallied his conference-leading 13th goal as Balogun put back the rebound off the save on senior captain Juwan Kearson‘s (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul’s) shot.
- The 1-0 Seahawk lead stood for just six minutes as Tanner Dail took a low hard shot into the right side of the net to pull Christopher Newport even.
- The Captains then played a man down starting in the 29th minute as Daniel Hulett went off the field with a red card.
- The Seahawks could not capitalize on the extra-man opportunity as the 1-1 draw held until the 80th minute when Dail struck once again with a quick shot off a Jordan Boone pass from the right.
- Neither goalie made a save over the final 45 minutes.
- St. Mary’s took four shots in the second half but two were wide, one high, and the other blocked.
- Statistically, the teams were neck-in-neck as the Seahawks edged CNU, 10-9, in shots and 6-5 in corner kicks.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (1 goal); Kearson (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
For Christopher Newport
- Scorers: Dail (2 goals); Davis Pillow (1 assist); Boone (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zach Pedini (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- This is the fourth time in program history, and second straight season, St. Mary’s has earned the No. 2 seed in the CAC Tournament.
- Christopher Newport moves to 18-4-2 in the series, including a 12-game (11-0-1) unbeaten streak over the Seahawks. St. Mary’s last win over CNU was a 3-1 decision in St. Mary’s City in 2005.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 27 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (14-3-3, 1-3-3 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – 2:00 p.m.
- St. Mary’s owns a 6-1 record in the series, which began in 2013 when Harrisburg joined the conference, and the Seahawks have won four in a row over Harrisburg. St. Mary’s has outscored the Lions, 16-2. Harrisburg’s only win over the Seahawks was a 1-0 double overtime decision in the 2014 CAC Tournament Semifinals in Middletown, Pennsylvania.