By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary’s City, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team came up short Wednesday night as St. Mary’s (13-16, 1-6 CAC) suffered its fifth 3-0 setback of the season against the University of Mary Washington (17-10, 6-0 CAC). Set scores were 21-25, 19-25, 22-25.
St. Mary’s 0, Mary Washington 3
- In the first set, the Eagles built an 11-5 lead but St. Mary’s rallied, grabbing an 18-16 lead on a kill by senior captain Hannah Krauss(Severna Park, Md./Severna Park). UMW would close out the game on a 7-5 run, including winning six in a row to claim a 24-20 advantage.
- Mary Washington once again notched an early lead before the Seahawks responded by winning five of the next six points to claim a 9-8 advantage. The two sides were neck-in-neck for the next 12 points before the Eagles widened the lead to five near the end for the 25-19 win.
- The third game saw Mary Washington lead the whole way but no more than a three-point lead until building a five-point margin at 20-15. St. Mary’s knotted the set twice but never got over the hump in falling 25-22.
- Leading the way with nine kills and a .261 attack percentage was sophomore captain Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run). Sutliffalso added four digs.
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) swung for eight kills while senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) contributed 23 assists and seven digs, and senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) came through with a match-high 15 digs.
- As a team, the Seahawks had eight blocks and three service aces.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 27 at Bridgewater (Va.) (21-5) – Bridgewater, Va. – 11:00 a.m.
- Oct. 27 vs. Lebanon Valley (15-10) – Bridgewater, Va. – 1:00 p.m.