By Nairem Moran ·firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredericksburg, Va. –It was the end of the road for the St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s soccer team Wednesday morning in the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Women’s Soccer Tournament Championship Semifinals. Sixth-seeded St. Mary’s (8-11-1) comeback came up short in a 3-2 loss to second-seeded University of Mary Washington (12-3-1).
St. Mary’s 2, Mary Washington 3
How It Happened
- Mary Washington more than doubled the Seahawks in shots, 15-7, while each side earned four corner kicks.
- Despite a 9-3 shot advantage in the first half, the Eagles only mustered a 1-0 lead at the break.
- Abby Zimmerman, who paced UMW with two goals, netted her first of the day in the 27th minute off an assist fromLindsey Hendrickson.
- Senior captainKatie Flores(Towson, Md./Towson), this week’s CAC Defensive Player of the Week, picked up three of her four saves in the first half to keep St. Mary’s within one at halftime.
- Nearly seven minutes into the start of the second stanza, the Seahawks pulled even as sophomore forwardAlex Moody(Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) found the back of the net with an unassisted goal.
- The 1-1 draw was short-lived asZimmermanstruck again in the 54th minute, this time converting a feed fromKatie Rauch.
- UMW doubled its lead to 3-1 at 70:51 asCorinne Carsonnotched her sixth score of the season off a pass fromAlexia Inge.
- St. Mary’s continued to battle and its effort was rewarded in the 90th minute when sophomoreMadison Webb(Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) connected with senior forwardJenna Pastel(Silver Spring, Md./Einstein), cutting the Eagle lead to 3-2 with 29 seconds left in regulation.
- Unfortunately, time ran out for the Seahawks and their rally fell one goal shy of overtime.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers:Moody (1 goal); Webb (1 goal); Pastel (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper:Flores (4 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
For Mary Washington
- Scorers:Zimmerman(2 goals);Carson(1 goal);Hendrickson(1 assist);Rauch(1 assist);Inge(1 assist)
- Goalkeeper:Kelcie Macomber(1 save, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Today marked the fourth consecutive trip to the CAC Tournament Semifinals during fifth-year head coachPeter Krech’stenure.
- Mary Washington improved to 28-8-8 in the series, which began in 1986.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete