Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
By: Public Information Office, St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office
Leonardtown,MD- The Town of Leonardtown and its partners start the holiday season on Friday, Nov. 23, 2018, from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. with the traditional Christmas on the Square and Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony. The lighting of the Town Christmas Tree is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Road closures and restrictions:
- Downtown Leonardtown Square, including Washington Street and Fenwick Street, will be closed to through traffic from 2 to 10 p.m.
- Courthouse Drive, Guyther Drive, Camalier Drive and portions of Park Avenue, Shadrick Street, Pope Street and Church Street will also have extremely restricted access before and during the event.
- Residents living around Tudor Hall should enter town via Lawrence Avenue to access their neighborhood, as access to Courthouse Drive will be restricted.
- The Firehouse lot and old carnival lot at Shadrick and Lawrence will NOT be available for public parking this year as it will be the new location for the petting zoo for the event.
Parking and shuttles:
- Once in-town parking lots are full, spectators will be directed to auxiliary lots.
- For cars to exit town efficiently and safely after Santa’s arrival, fire truck rides will be shutting down completely at 6:45 p.m.
- Spectators are encouraged to park at College of Southern Maryland and use the free shuttle bus service between CSM and St. Aloysius Church from 4:30 to 9:30 p.m. Once the CSM parking lot is full, spectators will be directed to park at the governmental center campus and take the shuttle bus from there. A wheelchair-accessible shuttle will also be available from CSM, and once the CSM lot closes, it will be available from the governmental center via The Center for Life Enrichment.
- Handicap parking is also available in town in the public lot next to the Hair Company and in the lot across from the Executive Inn on Park Avenue. Once full, parking will be directed to the CSM or governmental center parking.
- Free parking is also available at Leonardtown Elementary School and St. Mary’s Ryken High School.
For more information, call the Town of Leonardtown at 301-475-9791.