News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball (7-13, 1-8 CAC) took the 17th ranked Christopher Newport University Captains (17-3, 6-2 CAC) to the brink on Wednesday (Jan. 30) night, narrowly pulling off the upset in a 79-76 loss in Capital Athletic Conference play.
How It Happened
- After six minutes of play, the Seahawks trailed the Captains 14-9. St. Mary’s quickly grabbed their third lead in the early stages of the game with seven-straight points, capturing a 16-14 lead at the 10:56 mark. Darick Kerns, Justin Milstead, Matt Ayoub, and Spencer Schultz recorded buckets during the run. Both squads exchanged scores for the remainder of the opening half, and St. Mary’s headed into the locker rooms with a slim 35-34 lead. The Seahawks shot 52 percent from the field and played solid defense, holding the Captains to a 39.4 field goal percentage.
- CNU regained the lead at the 11:59 mark of the second half, putting together a nine point run for a 51-50 advantage. The Captains extended their scoring streak to 11 with a layup, but the Seahawks halted CNU’s momentum with a clutch three-ball from Reggie Rouseto tie the game at 53.
- The Captains attempted to pull away from the Seahawks in the latter stages of the game with a 76-69 lead over St. Mary’s. Once again, Rouse drained a three-pointer to keep the Seahawks in the game. Next, Zach Spooner battled for a defensive rebound and stormed down the court for a fast break layup to bring the Seahawks within two with 21 seconds remaining.
- Head Coach Chris Harney ’97 immediately called a timeout after the Spooner layup to draw a play up in the final seconds of regulation. Next, the Seahawks sent the Captains to the line and Elijah Bowens made one of two of his free throws. Schultz was able to hustle down the floor for a layup with one second remaining to bring the Seahawks within one. St. Mary’s sent CNU to the line where they made their free throws for the 79-76 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Schultz led St. Mary’s with his fifth double-double of the year, tallying 22 points and 10 rebounds.
- Rouse collected a season-best 19 points, shooting six-of-nine from the field and four-of-six from beyond the three-point arch. Additionally, Rouse dished out a team-best five assists.
- Jason Aigner led CNU with 20 points, while Adrian Beasley added 16.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 2 at Frostburg St. (10-10, 6-3 CAC) – Bobcat Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 3:00 p.m.