By CCVFE Coordinator/Public Information Officer William Smith

January 30, 2019- Wednesday morning at about 12:30 am, our 911 center received a call from the homeowner at 3275 Elsa Avenue stating his house was on fire.

Volunteer Fire units totally 48 men and women from both Waldorf stations, Bryans Road, Potomac Heights, Indian Head, La Plata, with mutual aid PGFD , and numerous command officers responded to the scene to find a “working fire” on side B/C possibly in the basement.

An aggressive fire attack was made, searches were “negative”, and the fire was extinguished in 10 minutes. Battalion Chief 12B (Durrer) had command, units continued overhaul, locating the cause of the fire to be a “malfunction in the furnace” in the basement area of the home.

Smith said,”We thank not only the crews for operating in the frigid cold temperatures, but want to thank the Waldorf Ladies Auxiliary for the warm refreshments and SMECO for their assistance.”

According to PIO Smith, there is no Fire Marshal’s report because it was determined to be a furnace malfunction. Smith states,” the family is being assisted by other family members at this time. “

All images courtesy of PIO William Smith

David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...