News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball (8-15, 2-10 CAC) was edged by the visiting York College Spartans (17-6, 10-2 CAC) 73-72 on Saturday (Feb. 9) afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s built early momentum by beginning the game with a made three-pointer fromZach Spoonerand a high-flying dunk fromNaheed Johnfor a 5-0 lead. The Spartans put a halt to the Seahawks early momentum and took a 15-9 lead at the 12:03 mark of the half. St. Mary’s battled back and tied the contest at 17-17, and retook the lead off aSpencer Schultzlayup shortly after.
- Trailing 33-31 with 2:30 remaining, the Seahawks strung together six-straight points for a 37-33 lead.Schultz,Justin Milstead, andMatt Ayoubaccounted for scores during the run. York tallied the final bucket of the half and the Seahawks headed into half with a 37-35 lead.
- In the second half, York jumped out to a 52-43 advantage, but the Seahawks clawed themselves back into the game with an eight-point run to bring themselves within one. The run was highlighted by a made three-pointer fromReggie Rouse. The Spartans made two free throws to capture the lead again, butRousestepped up again with another three-pointer to knot the game at 54.
- York broke the tie and extended their lead to 71-62 with 2:57 left in regulation. The Seahawks scored five straight to bring themselves within four. Next, York hit a free throw, butMilsteadimmediately stormed down the court and sunk a layup. Trailing by three, the Seahawks came up with a big defensive rebound fromSchultz, andMilsteadpulled up for a three-pointer and was fouled. With the game on the line,Milsteadcame up clutch and sunk all three of his free throws. However, York was fouled moments later and made a free throw for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Milsteadled the Seahawks in scoring for the third-straight game, knocking down 18 points.
- Schultzrecorded a double-double, tallying 12 points and 10 rebounds.Rousealso recorded 12 points, shooting five-of-eight from the field and two-of-three from three-point range.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 13 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (13-10, 5-7 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 8:00 p.m