News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball topped the visiting York College Spartans 81-78 in an overtime thriller on Saturday (Feb. 9) afternoon during Senior Day. The victory snapped a 15 game winning-streak that the Spartans had over the Seahawks. The Seahawks honored seniors Kobe Chaney and Katie Robey before the game. St. Mary’s has now won two consecutive games.
How It Happened
- The first quarter of action was competitive, like much of the game, as the Seahawks and Spartans played to a 9-9 tie. St. Mary’s finished the quarter strong with five unanswered points to give themselves a little breathing room heading into the second. Hallie Persell drained two free throws and Kelli Jenkins converted on a three-pointer during the run.
- York cut into St. Mary’s lead to start the second and eventually knotted the score up at 18 apiece with seven minutes left in the quarter. Cassidy Kupchinskas sunk a jumpshot seconds later to retain the lead for the Seahawks. However, the Spartans used a late second quarter push to grab a 34-29 lead at halftime.
- Halfway through the third quarter, the Seahawks managed to even the score at 41 thanks to a made Persell jump shot. Both squads continued to go toe-to-toe for the next few minutes of play and were tied once again at 50. The Spartans tacked on five straight points to go up 55-50, but he Seahawks answered with the next four points. Next, Katie McGowan hit a jumper with three seconds remaining in the third stanza and York took a 57-54 lead into the fourth.
- A couple of clutch three-point shots made by Jenkins and Janey Mathisen tied the game at 67 with 6:07 left in the quarter. York retook the lead, 69-67 unitil Jenkins drained another three ball for a 70-69 Seahawk advantage, their first of the quarter. York led 74-72 with time dwindling down in regulation, but Gina Siefert tied things up once again with a layup with 35 seconds remaining. York had plenty of time for one last possession, but the Seahawk defense held strong, forcing the game to overtime.
- Seifert showed up in overtime for the Seahawks, accounting for St. Mary’s first four points. The Seahawks held a slim 79-78 lead with just 25 seconds remaining and York resorted to fouling. St. Mary’s converted on their free throws for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert led the Seahawks with the lone double-double on the team. She tallied 17 points and had a monster night on the glass, collecting 15 rebounds.
- Chaney collected 13 rebounds and added four points.
- Mathisen finished with 16 points and Jenkins recorded 15. Jenkins shot five-of-seven from three-point range.
- McGowan led the Spartans with 22 points and 10 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 13 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (9-14, 3-9 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 6:00 p.m.