News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – Bowen Plagge‘s grand slam in the bottom of the third inning and five shutout innings thrown by Drew Sturgess lifted the St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (2-1) over the visiting College of New Rochelle Blue Angels (0-2) on Friday (Feb. 22) afternoon.
How It Happened
- After two scoreless inning,Jay Hammettput the ball in play and advancedLucas Krafthome for a 1-0 lead. The bases remaining loaded in the bottom of the third whenPlaggeblasted a grand slam to left center for a commanding 5-0 advantage for the Seahawks.
- St. Mary’s College tacked on to their lead in the third whenBrady Waterssmacked a single past the Blue Angel defense for two RBI.
- In the fourth inning,Plaggeadded to his already impressive stat line with a triple, scoringJoey Bryner. Next,Dillon Watersstepped up to the plate and lined a double to right center to put the Seahawks up 9-0. The Blue Angels finally got on the board in the top of the sixth inning and play was suspended due to lack of light, giving the Seahawks the dominant 9-1 victory in six innings.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned, the Seahawks received excellent pitching fromSturgess, who threw five scoreless innings and racked up five strikeouts.Tyson JohnsonrelievedSturgessin the sixth and recorded a strikeout, but allowed the lone run.
- Plaggefinished two of three from the plate with a grand slam and triple for a team-best five RBI.B. Watersadded two RBI andD. Watersrecorded one RBI. On the bases,Dakota MerrittandKrafthustled for one stolen base each.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 25 – vs. McDaniel (DH7) – 12:00 p.m. – Hawk’s Nest