News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (4-1) earned two comeback victories over the visiting McDaniel College Green Terror (0-2) on Tuesday (Feb. 26) afternoon in a pair of seven inning games. The Seahawks trailed by nine runs in the fifth inning of game one and one run in the sixth inning of game two before they completed their comeback bids.
How It Happened (Game 1)
- McDaniel held a two run lead in the third inning when the Seahawks tallied their first run of the game in the bottom half of the inning.Dillon Watersreached base on an error, scoringBowen Plagge.
- The Green Terror broke out offensively in the fourth and fifth innings with a combined eight runs. In the bottom half of the fifth, the Seahawks had the bases loaded and started to chip away at the Green Terror lead. Errors committed by McDaniel on two separate occasions led to four runs for St. Mary’s College.
- The Seahawks rode their momentum into the sixth inning and put up an astounding eight runs for a 13-10 lead. The scoring began with Jay Hammet crossing the plate off a fielder’s choice created byHolden Marshall.Brady Waters,Dan McCann, andJoey Brynerfollowed with clutch hitting and recorded RBI’s. Next,Hammettblasted a two-run home run to left field to cap the Seahawks scoring frenzy.
- D. Waterscame in for relief ofWill Spanoghein the seventh and recorded the save.
Inside the Box Score
- Dan McCannled the Seahawks from the plate with three hits and one walk, while adding two RBI and one run.Hammettfollowed with two hits, two RBI off of a homerun, two runs, and a walk.
- From the mound,Spanoghepitched 1.2 innings and tallied four strikeouts for the victory. As mentioned,D. Waterscame in for the final two outs and recorded the save.
How It Happened (Game 2)
- Game two of the twin bill displayed excellent pitching asJackson EdelmanandBrad Thaxtonof McDaniel pitched complete games. The Green Terror struck first in the contest with a two run lead through one and half innings of action. The Seahawks broke their goose egg in the bottom half of the second inning with a RBI single fromB. Waters.
- After three scoreless innings, St. Mary’s College grabbed their first lead of the game with two runs in the sixth. A fielder’s choice that was put into play byMarshallscoredD. WatersandBrynerfor the first two runs. Next,B. Waterspadded the Seahawk lead with a RBI single.
- McDaniel made things interesting to start the seventh inning, tacking on a run with zero outs recorded in the inning. However,Edelmanwas able to close the door on the comeback opportunity with two fly outs and a ground out.
Inside the Box Score
- B. Watersled the Seahawks from the plate with two hits and two RBI. On the base paths,Lucas KraftandDakota Merritthustled for one stolen base each.
- On the mound,Edelmanthrew a complete game with three strikeouts and allowing only one earned run.Edelmanearned his first victory of the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 2 at Hampden-Sydney (3 p.m.) and Mar. 3 vs. Rochester Institute of Technology (11 a.m.) (at Hampden-Syndey)