News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (4-1) earned two comeback victories over the visiting McDaniel College Green Terror (0-2) on Tuesday (Feb. 26) afternoon in a pair of seven inning games. The Seahawks trailed by nine runs in the fifth inning of game one and one run in the sixth inning of game two before they completed their comeback bids.
How It Happened (Game 1)
- McDaniel held a two run lead in the third inning when the Seahawks tallied their first run of the game in the bottom half of the inning. Dillon Waters reached base on an error, scoring Bowen Plagge.
- The Green Terror broke out offensively in the fourth and fifth innings with a combined eight runs. In the bottom half of the fifth, the Seahawks had the bases loaded and started to chip away at the Green Terror lead. Errors committed by McDaniel on two separate occasions led to four runs for St. Mary’s College.
- The Seahawks rode their momentum into the sixth inning and put up an astounding eight runs for a 13-10 lead. The scoring began with Jay Hammet crossing the plate off a fielder’s choice created by Holden Marshall. Brady Waters, Dan McCann, and Joey Brynerfollowed with clutch hitting and recorded RBI’s. Next, Hammettblasted a two-run home run to left field to cap the Seahawks scoring frenzy.
- D. Waters came in for relief of Will Spanoghe in the seventh and recorded the save.
Inside the Box Score
- Dan McCann led the Seahawks from the plate with three hits and one walk, while adding two RBI and one run. Hammett followed with two hits, two RBI off of a homerun, two runs, and a walk.
- From the mound, Spanoghe pitched 1.2 innings and tallied four strikeouts for the victory. As mentioned, D. Waters came in for the final two outs and recorded the save.
How It Happened (Game 2)
- Game two of the twin bill displayed excellent pitching as Jackson Edelman and Brad Thaxton of McDaniel pitched complete games. The Green Terror struck first in the contest with a two run lead through one and half innings of action. The Seahawks broke their goose egg in the bottom half of the second inning with a RBI single from B. Waters.
- After three scoreless innings, St. Mary’s College grabbed their first lead of the game with two runs in the sixth. A fielder’s choice that was put into play by Marshall scored D. Waters and Bryner for the first two runs. Next, B. Waters padded the Seahawk lead with a RBI single.
- McDaniel made things interesting to start the seventh inning, tacking on a run with zero outs recorded in the inning. However, Edelman was able to close the door on the comeback opportunity with two fly outs and a ground out.
Inside the Box Score
- B. Waters led the Seahawks from the plate with two hits and two RBI. On the base paths, Lucas Kraft and Dakota Merritthustled for one stolen base each.
- On the mound, Edelman threw a complete game with three strikeouts and allowing only one earned run. Edelman earned his first victory of the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 2 at Hampden-Sydney (3 p.m.) and Mar. 3 vs. Rochester Institute of Technology (11 a.m.) (at Hampden-Syndey)