News Release, Charles County Commissioners
On Tuesday, Feb 26, the Board of Commissioners convened in open session. Following the session, the Commissioners held a retreat to discuss goals and objectives for their term of office. More information will be coming soon.
The Commissioners approved the following items:
- Abudget amendment increase of $867,100to support technology items included in the Billingsley Elementary School and Dr. Mudd Elementary School modernization/addition projects. These projects are not bond eligible and another funding source was needed to fund these costs.
- Abudget transfer of $85,000to increase the county’s Tri-County Council funding to equal the same funding as provided by Calvert and St. Mary’s County.
- Abudget amendment increase of $29,290to support the Department of Planning and Growth Management in developing the total maximum daily load restoration plans for sediment in the Patuxent River Lower.
- Abudget transfer request of $125,700to support water and sewer operations, specifically Ferric chemical use, which is unusually high due to heavy flow caused by more precipitation than normal.
General Assembly Legislation Update
Acting County Attorney Danielle Mitchell provided an update and requests for approvals for the 2019 Maryland General Assembly Legislative Session.
- House Bill 389,House Bill 388,House Bill 438, andHouse Bill 400: A hearing was held on Monday, Feb. 18 and a Charles County Liquor Board representative spoke on the bills. More information to follow.
- Senate Bill 634: Aletter of supportwas provided by the Board of Commissioners.
- Senate Bill 290: The Board of Commissioners requested support from the Charles County Department of Health before approving theletter of support.
- Senate Bill 973: The Board of Commissioners approved sending aletterrequesting additional time to review the matter.
- Senate Bill 866: The Board of Commissioners approved sending aletterrequesting additional time to review the matter.
- Senate Bill 845: The Acting County Attorney will provide a letter of support for the Board of Commissioners review during the March 5 Commissioners meeting.
- House Bill 1051: The hearing has not yet been scheduled and the Board of Commissioners are awaiting response from delegation.
- Appointed Kevin Wedding, Robin Barnes, and William Murray to thePlanning Commission.
- Appointed Brittany Waddell, Benjamin Watkins, and Claude Henry Humbert to theBoard of Appeals.
- Commissioners recognized new employees, as well as employees celebrating1, 5, 10, and 20 years of service.
Wednesday, Feb. 27
On Wednesday, Feb. 27, the County Commissioners attended the South Potomac Civilian-Military Community Relations Council (COMREL) Meeting, which included an update on the revitalization of Indian Head,U.S. Army Reserve Maryland Training Center, Maryland Airport,Charles County Commission for Veterans Affairs,the Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial/Senator Thomas “Mac” Middleton Bridge Replacement Project,Charles County Tourism,CITE Program at Indian Head, and College of Southern Maryland’s Tech Transfer Program. Following that meeting, the Commissioners reconvened in open session.
CBG Communications, Inc. President and CEO Thomas Robinson and Cohen Law Group Attorney and Founder Daniel Cohen presented a statusupdateon the Comcast Franchise Renewal negotiations. Cable franchise negotiations have been ongoing between the county and Comcast. This process between a cable company and a “local franchising authority” (i.e. the County) are governed by the federal Cable Communications Policy Act. According to the Cable Act, cable franchise agreements do not cover broadband internet service. Lack of broadband access is a concern for many rural residents and potential options for funding the build-out to rural areas were presented, including federal grants/loans, state grants/loans, or a public/private partnership.
Next Commissioners Meeting:Tuesday, March 5, beginning at 9 a.m.
For More Information:
Commissioners meetings are aired on CCGTV, which broadcasts on Comcast channel 95 and Verizon channel 10, and are available for streaming atwww.CharlesCountyMD.gov/media-services/ccgtv/ccgtv. Materials and minutes of the Commissioners meeting will be posted atwww.boarddocs.com/md/chrlsco/Board.nsf/Publicupon approval.