News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ASHLAND, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (3-3) dropped a 12-9 non-conference road contest to the Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets (4-1) on Wednesday (Mar. 6) afternoon.
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon leaped out to a 3-0 lead at the 6:33 mark of the first quarter. St. Mary’s College got on the board two minutes later with a goal from Ray LaPlaca and followed their first score with a goal from Jeremiah Clemmer. Trailing by one goal, the Seahawk defense gave up a score to end the opening stanza and headed to the second quarter trailing 4-2.
- The Seahawks started the second quarter by outscoring the Yellow Jackets 2-1 with scores from Dominic Venanzi and Jude Brown. However, Randolph-Macon increased their lead to 8-4 with a three-goal run. Both squads exchanged scores to end the half and the Seahawks headed into the locker rooms trailing the Yellow Jackets 9-5.
- After a defensive battle in the third quarter that saw both teams score just once, the Seahawks managed to outscore the Yellow Jackets 3-2 in the final quarter of action, but fell 12-9. Brown found the back of the net twice in the second half, while Clemmer and LaPlaca scored as well.
Inside the Box Score
- Clemmer and Brown led the Seahawks with four points each. Clemmer tallied two goals and two assists, while Brown netted three goals and dished out one assist.
- Anthony Sparacino hustled for a team-best four ground balls and caused one turnover. Alex Pfaff led the Seahawks with two caused turnovers. In goal, Ross Snodderly recorded six saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 9 vs. McDaniel – 3:00 p.m. – Jamie L. Roberts Stadium