News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team (4-3) bounced back with an 8-6 victory over the visiting McDaniel College Green Terror (1-4) on Saturday (Mar. 9) afternoon at Jamie L. Roberts Stadium.
How It Happened
- The opening quarter of action was a defensive battle with both teams only finding the back of the net once. Jude Brown scored unassisted at the 8:18 mark of the first stanza, but McDaniel responded with a goal 30 seconds later to tie the game.
- Tied 1-1 in the second quarter, Erich Wuesthoff beat the McDaniel goalkeeper just a minute and 24 seconds into the period. Next, the Green Terror scored back-to-back goals to take their first and only lead of the game. The Seahawks wrapped up the quarter with a goal from Ray LaPlaca to tie the game at three heading into halftime.
- The third quarter was dominated by St. Mary’s College as the Seahawks outscored the Green Terror 4-0. Connor Benhoff, Dominic Venanzi, Wuesthoff, and Brown registered scores during the run.
- St. Mary’s College began the fourth quarter with a bang, as Michael Bucci won the faceoff and streaked down the field for the unassisted score. However, the Green Terror responded with three-straight goals and made the score 8-6 in the Seahawks’ favor with a little over seven minutes left to play. St. Mary’s College played tough defense and used long offensive possessions to close out the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Brown led the Seahawks on the offensive end with two goals and two assists. Wuesthoff recorded two goals on the afternoon, while Venanzi tallied one goal and one assist.
- Luke McWright and Tommy Rinder hustled for a team-best four ground balls, while Anthony Sparacino caused a team-high three turnovers. In goal, Ross Snodderly shut down the Green Terror offense with 17 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 13 at Randolph – 4:00 p.m.