News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse (3-2) hung on for a 13-10 victory over the visiting Kean University Cougars (0-3) on Saturday (Mar. 9) afternoon at Jamie L. Roberts Stadium.
How It Happened
- Six-straight goals from St. Mary’s College gave the Seahawks a comfortable advantage with under six minutes left to play in the first half.Caitlin Katchmarscored three of the six goals during the run, whileLucy Gussio,Sydni Thacker, andKate Bartholomewrecorded the other three scores.
- Kean outscored St. Mary’s College to end the half, but the Seahawks still held a 7-3 lead heading into halftime.Bartholomewfound the back of the net for the Seahawks’ seventh score of the day.
- The Cougars cut the Seahawks lead to three in the first two and half minutes of the second half, but St. Mary’s College answered with a four-goal run to go ahead 11-4 with 12:49 remaining.ThackerandKatchmarwere in charge of two goals each during the scoring burst.
- Leading 12-5, the Seahawks gave up five-straight goals, but still head a 12-10 lead with 12 seconds left. With short time remaining, the Seahawk defense tighted up and the St. Mary’s College offense was able to find an insurance goal with four seconds left in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Katchmarled the Seahawks with a career-best eight points off of five goals and three assists.Bartholomewfollowed with five points from two goals and three assists, whileThackertallied four goals on the afternoon.
- Jodi CreditandStephanie Heffronhustled for important possessions and led the Seahawks with four ground balls a piece. In addition,Heffronpaced the Seahawks with three caused turnovers, whileDani MacDonald,Jayne Barkman, andEmma Browncaused two each. In goal,Browncollected eight saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 13 at Rowan – 4:00 p.m. – Jamie L. Roberts Stadium