News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball dropped a twin bill at Penn State Harrisburg on Saturday (Mar. 16) afternoon to open up Capital Athletic Conference action. The Seahawks dropped game one 8-6 and game two 8-4.
How It Happened (Game One)
- The Lions had a big first inning with six runs for the early advantage. Trailing 6-1 in the seventh inning, the Seahawks recorded four runs to bring themselves within one run.Joey Brynerstarted the scoring in the seventh with a RBI double into left field. Next,Dillon Watersstepped into the batter’s box and blasted a two-run home run to left field.Bowen Plaggecapped off the seventh inning with a RBI single into left field.
- Penn State Harrisburg tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the seventh and extended their lead to three runs. The Seahawks attempted one last comeback in the ninth inning whenPlaggedrove a RBI single up the middle. However, the Lions closed the door on the Seahawks for the victory in game one.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- D. Watersled the Seahawks from the plate going three-of-five with one home run and two RBI.Plaggealso contributed offensively with a team-best three RBI with two hits on the afternoon.
- Drew Sturgessstarted the game on the mound for the Seahawks and was charged with the loss.Nick TestoniandJonathan Everidgepitched in relief and gave up a combined two earned runs.Everidgerecorded two strikeouts in 1.2 inning pitched.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- Much like game one, the Lions took advantage of early runs to capture the victory. Penn State Harrisburg plated two runs in the first inning and three in the fifth for a 5-0 lead.
- The Seahawks got on the board in the fourth inning whenPlaggemashed a solo shot to left field for his third home run of the season. St. Mary’s College continued their scoring ways in the fifth inning with three runs to bring themselves within one of the Lions.D. Watersstarted the fifth inning with a RBI triple. Next, the Seahawks tallied another run from a Penn State Harrisburg error, beforeTyler Taitanoripped a RBI single past first base.
- The Lion relievers shut down the Seahawks for the remainder of the game and the Penn State Harrisburg offense added three more runs for the victory.
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Plaggeled the Seahawk offense finishing two-of-four from the plate with one RBI.D. WatersandT. Taitanoalso added one RBI each.
- Connor Maniongot the nod on the mound for the Seahawks and was charged with the loss in 4.1 innings pitched.Griffin HonseandTim Handpitched in relief withHonserecording one strikeout.