News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (5-9-1, 0-6 CAC) dropped the series to No. 2 Christopher Newport University on Sunday (Mar. 24) afternoon, falling in game two 19-2 and game three 13-0.
How It Happened (Game One)
- St. Mary’s College trailed 15-0 before recording their first run of the game in the bottom of the seventh inning when Matt Ansaldi hit a sacrifice fly to right center, plating Derek Taitano.
- The Captains tacked on four more runs in the top of the ninth inning to pull ahead 19-1. The Seahawks finished the game strong with a run in the bottom of the ninth from a Brady Waters RBI single.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- B. Waters led the Seahawks on the offensive end, finishing two-of-four from the plate with one RBI. Dillon Waters, Jay Hammett, Joey Bryner, Derek Taitano, Dakota Merritt, Diego Grijalva, and Bryan Brooks recorded one hit each.
- Drew Sturgess started the game on the mound for the Seahawks, pitching three innings and allowing two earned runs. In addition, Sturgess struck out three batters. Nick Testoni, Tyson Johnson, Sam Roeder, and Noah Meyers came in and pitched in relief. Roedermade his first appearance in two years after battling injuries and pitched two innings, allowing zero earned runs and striking out one batter.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- The Seahawks trailed by 13 runs after seven innings of action, but held the Captains scoreless in the final two innings of play. St. Mary’s College managed to record three hits, but failed to score a run in the contest.
Inside the Box Score
- D. Waters, Bowen Plagge, and Tyler Taitano led the Seahawk offense with one hit each.
- Connor Manion started the game on the mound for the Seahawks but exited the game after one inning due to injury. Manion was replaced by Jonathan Everidge who pitched three solid innings, allowing four earned runs and striking out one batter. Griffin Honse and Tim Hand also pitched in relief. Honse recorded three strikeouts in his outing, while Handallowed zero earned runs in 2.1 innings pitched.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 26 vs. No. 5 Randolph-Macon – 3:30 p.m. | Hawk’s Nest