Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland Athletic Communications
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (5-10-1) fell in a tight 8-5 contest to the visiting No. 9 Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets (9-4) on Tuesday (Mar. 26) afternoon in non-conference action.
How It Happened
- Both teams swung the bats early as the Seahawks and Yellow Jackets plated runs in the first inning. The Yellow Jackets led 1-0 when they Seahawks responded with a RBI single fromBowen Plaggeto tie the game.Joey Brynerfollowed with a double down the right field line to extend the Seahawk lead to 2-1 in the first. St. Mary’s College tacked on another run in the third inning whenPlaggeadded another RBI to his stat line with a double to left center.
- Randolph-Macon started to chip into the lead in the fourth inning and eventually tied the game at three in the fifth inning. Knotted up at 3-3, the Seahawks captured the lead once again with a clutch two RBI double byDakota Merritt. The double fromMerrittbroughTyler TaitanoandBrynerhome.
- The Seahawk bullpen found themselves in trouble for the remainder of the game, allowing five runs for the Randolph-Macon comeback.
Inside the Box Score
- Plaggeled the Seahawk offense going two-of-four from the plate with two RBI.Merrittalso finished the contest with two RBI.Dillon Waters,Brady Waters,Bryner, andAndy Collinshad solid days at the plate with two hits each.
- Jackson Edelmanstarted the game for the Seahawks on the mound and allowed three earned runs in 5.1 innings pitched. Additionally,Jacksonrecorded four strikeouts in his outing and eclipsed 100 innings pitched in his career.Sam Roeder,Griffin Honse, andJonathan Everidgepitched in relief, withHonsebeing charged with the loss.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 27 vs. Marymount – 3:00 p.m. | Hawk’s Nest