News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – No. 25 St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse (6-4) dropped a tight battle to the Washington College Shorewomen 10-9 on Wednesday (Mar. 27) afternoon in non-conference action.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College began the game firing on all cylinders on the offensive end, outscoring the Shorewomen 3-1 in the first 11 minutes of action.Kate Bartholomew,Caitlin Katchmar, andSydni Thackerall found the back of the net for the two goal lead. The Seahawks and Shorewomen exchanged goals for the remainder of the half, and St. Mary’s College held a 6-4 lead at halftime.Bartholomew,Lucy Gussio, andJayne Barkmanripped shots into the back of the net for the Seahawks final three goals of the opening half.
- The momentum shifted to the Shorewomen in the second half as they outscored the Seahawks 6-3 in the second half of play. The Seahawks managed to score the first goal of the second half whenKatchmarfoundThackerfor a three-goal advantage. Next, Washington College answered with a three goal run to even the game at seven.
- The Seahawks captured the lead once again off an unassisted goal fromAli Collieat the 16:35 mark of the half. However, the Shorewomen responded with another three-goal run to take a 10-8 with just under ten minutes left to play. St. Mary’s College attempted the comeback with a goal fromKatchmaroff a free position attempt with three minutes left, but the Shorewomen closed the door for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Katchmar(2g, 1a) andBartholomew(2g, 1a) led the Seahawks on the offensive end with three points each.Gussio(1g, 1a) andThacker(2g) followed with two points each.
- On the defensive end,Alyssa DemskiandFrancesca Ziccardiled St. Mary’ College with two caused turnovers, while adding two ground balls each.Katchmarled the squad with three ground balls andStephanie Heffronhustled for a team-high four draw controls. In goal,Emma Browngathered 11 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 29 vs. Southern Virginia – 4:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference contest | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium