Support Local Journalism

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!

By: David M Higgins II

Scotland, MD- On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 5:55 p.m., the St. Mary’s County 9-1-1 dispatch was alerted to a kitchen fire in a single family home of Cornfield Road in Scotland, MD. The Ridge Volunteer Fire Department responded with twenty firefighters and had the fire under control in five minutes.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal was called in to investigate and determined the fire was the result of unattended cooking appliances and labeled accidental. The Fire Marshal’s report lists loss of structure at $20,000.00 and contents at $10,000.00.

The family was notified of the fire by working a smoke detector and exited the building unharmed. However, four cats, and four dogs perished as a result. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...