News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
YORK, Pa. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (5-16-1, 0-11 CAC) dropped two games on Saturday (Apr. 6) afternoon to the York College Spartans (15-5, 8-2 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference play. The Seahawks dropped game one 6-4 and game two 9-2.
How It Happened (Game One)
- Through the first six innings of action, the Spartans built a slim 3-0 lead over the Seahawks. St. Mary’s College tacked on their first run of the contest in the top of the seventh with a RBI single fromConnor Coursey. However, the Spartans recaptured the momentum with a three-run bomb in the bottom half of the inning for a 6-1 advantage.
- The Seahawks threatened the Spartans in the eighth inning with three runs.Brady Waterslined a RBI single to start the Seahawk scoring, and brotherDillon Watersfollowed with a two-run home run. St. Mary’s College was blanked in the ninth inning and could not complete the comeback.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- Courseyled the Seahawks from the plate with three hits in four at-bats. In addition,Courseyadded one RBI.D. Watersled the Seahawks with two RBI.
- D. Watersstarted the game on the mound for the Seahawks, throwing four innings and allowing two earned runs. Additionally,D. Waterstallied four strikeouts.Connor ManionandBen Websterpitched in relief.Websterkept the Spartans scoreless and recorded one strikeout.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- In game two of the afternoon, the Spartans jumped out to a large 9-0 lead through five innings. The Seahawks got on the scoreboard in the top of the sixth whenBowen Plaggeblasted a solo home run to right field.Plagge’ssolo shot was his fifth of the year, good for the best mark on the team. St. Mary’s College added one more run in the eighth inning from a RBI single fromJoey Bryner.
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Jay Hammettled the Seahawks from the batter’s box with three hits in four trips to the plate.PlaggeandBrynerled the team with one RBI each.
- Jonathan Everidgestarted the game on the mound, throwing two innings and allowing four earned runs.Drew Sturgess,Tim Hand,Tyson Johnson, andJake Willspitched in relief.JohnsonandWillsheld the Spartans scoreless in one inning pitched.