News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
DOVER, Del. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (6-17-1, 0-12 CAC) snapped a 14 game losing skid by defeating the Wesley College Wolverines (2-21-1) Thursday (Apr. 11) afternoon. The Seahawks defeated the Wolverines 14-12 in an offensive shootout.
How It Happened
- After the Wolverines struck first in bottom half of the first inning, the Seahawks stormed back with eight unanswered runs between innings two through four.Tyler Taitano,Dakota Merritt,Joey Bryner,Andy Collins, andBrady Watersdrove runs in for the 8-1 lead. The scoring run was highlighted whenCollinslined a triple into right field for a run.
- The Wolverines responded by adding four runs in the fourth and sixth innings to trim the Seahawk lead to three. Next, St. Mary’s College extended their advantage by tacking on two more runs in the seventh inning of play.Connor CourseyandDillon Waterssmacked RBI singles for the pair of runs.
- Both squads continued to swing the bats well for the remainder of the game, and Wesley managed to outscore the Seahawks 7-2 in the final two innings of action, but the Seahawks were able to hang on for the victory.D. WatersandBowen Plaggetallied RBI singles in the top of the ninth to give the Seahawks a six run lead with three outs to record. The Wolverines continued to play hard and tacked on four runs in the bottom half of the inning. Leading by two runs with one out to record,Plaggeforced a groundout from the Wolverines to seal the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- B. Watersled the Seahawks with three hits in six trips to plate, while adding one RBI and three runs scored.Brynerled the team with three RBI and recorded two hits on the afternoon.D. Waters,Jay Hammett,Plagge,Collins,Merritt, andCourseytallied two hits each in the contest. In addition,Merrittshowed off his speed on the base paths with four stolen bases.
- Tyson Johnsonstarted the game on the mound and pitched four solid innings for the victory. Johnson allowed three earned runs and struck out five batters.Drew Sturgess,Jake Wills,Bryan Brooks, and Plagge pitched in relief. Sturgess earned two strikeouts, while Plagge added one.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 13 at Frostburg – 1:00 p.m. (DH) | Capital Athletic Conference game | Bob Wells Field