News Release, Charles County Public Information Office
The Department of Public Works is hosting an environmental outreach event on Saturday, June 1 from 9 a.m. to noon in the Charles County Government Building parking lot (200 Baltimore Street, La Plata). Backyard composting and rain barrel workshops, as well as free document shredding are available. Advance registration for workshops is required.
Charles County Government and the University of Maryland Extension staff are offering one-hour workshops for rain barrels and composting. The first rain barrel and compost bin workshops begin at 9:30 a.m.
- Free, secure, on-site shredding services available from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Bring up to five boxes (per vehicle) of personal documents for shredding and recycling.
- Event is for Charles County residents only.
- For more information, call the Department of Public Works’ Environmental Resources Division, 301-932-3599 or 301-870-2778.
Rain Barrel Workshop
- Take home a rain barrel and learn proper in-home installation techniques, practical uses for rain barrels, and how to reduce the impact of runoff on local waterways.
- Become eligible for a stormwater remediation fee credit.
- Advance registration is required. Register athttps://go.umd.edu/CCRBJune12019,or for more information, call Erica Hahn at 301-396-5237 or Jackie Takacs at 240-393-6508.
- Registration deadline isWednesday, May 29.
- In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn the basics of home composting.Registrants can receive a free plastic GEOBIN® or get instructions on making a wire bin at home.
- Registration is required. Register atcompostworkshop.eventbrite.com.
- For more information, call Department of Public Works’ Environmental Resources Division, at 301-932-3569 or Luke Gustafson at 301-934-5403.
- Registration deadline isSaturday, May 25.
For registration forms and additional information, visitwww.CharlesCountyMD.gov/Outreach. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.