News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
SALISBURY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse (9-8, 3-3 CAC) concluded regular season action with a 17-9 loss at No. 6 Salisbury University on Wednesday (Apr. 24) afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference play. The Seahawks have secured the fourth seed in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament and will host the fifth seeded Christopher Newport University Captains on Saturday (Apr. 27) at 1 p.m.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College played an excellent first half and headed into halftime leading the Sea Gulls 8-5.Kate Bartholomewrecorded three of the Seahawks first four goals, whileAli Collieadded the fourth for a 4-3 St. Mary’s College lead. Next, Salisbury evened the game at four, but the Seahawks answered with a four goal run to capture an 8-4 advantage.Lucy Gussio,Bartholomew,Caitlin Katchmar, andJayne Barkmanall beat the opposing goalkeeper for scores during the run.
- Trailing by three goals to start the second half, the Sea Gulls took over the game by scoring 12 of the 13 goals scored in the second half.Sydni Thackertallied the lone Seahawk goal in the second half.
Inside the Box Score
- Bartholomewled the Seahawks with five points off of four goals and one assist.Colliefollowed with four points, recording one goal and three assists.
- On the defensive end,Mary Kate Fitz-Patrick,Katchmar,Camila Ranta, andEmma Brownall caused one turnover each.BarkmanandRantaled the Seahawks with two ground balls, whileFitz-PatrickandStephanie Heffronpaced St. Mary’s College with five draw controls each. In goal,Browncollected eight saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 27 vs. Christopher Newport – 1:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference Tournament First Round | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium