News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (8-24-2, 2-17-1 CAC) dropped a Capital Athletic Conference twin bill at Mary Washington (13-20, 6-14 CAC) on Saturday (Apr. 27) afternoon. The Seahawks dropped game one 12-6 and game two 4-1 to the Eagles.
How It Happened (Game One)
- Trailing 4-0 after two innings, the Seahawks battled back and evened the game with four runs in the third inning.Jay Hammett,Dakota Merritt, andDan McCanndrove in runs during the big inning.
- Mary Washington tacked on eight unanswered runs between the four and seventh innings, pulling out to a commanding 12-4 lead. St. Mary’s College continued to play hard and eventually pushed two more runs across the plate in the ninth inning thanks to to a RBI double fromConnor Courseyand RBI single fromMerritt.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- HammettandCourseyled the Seahawks offensively with three hits in five trips to the plate. In addition,HammettandMerrittled the team with two RBI.
- Dillon Watersstarted the game on the mound for the Seahawks, throwing 3.1 inning and allowing six earned runs.D. Watersalso struck out two batters.Ben Webster,Sam Roeder, andJake Willspitched in relief.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- St. Mary’s College started the game with momentum, thanks to a solo home run fromBowen Plaggein the top of the first. However, the Seahawk offense stalled the rest of the way and failed to score in the next eight innings of action. Mary Washington added one run in the first, third, fourth, and eighth innings for the 4-1 victory.
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Plagge,Holden Marshall,Coursey, andSam Jamesrecorded one hit each.
- Jackson Edelmanpitched extremely well for the Seahawks, throwing a complete game and allowing just two earned runs. Additionally,Edelmanrecorded one strikeout.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 28 at Mary Washington – 12:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference Contest