News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (10-8, 3-3 CAC) wrapped up their season in a tight 12-10 loss to the Frostburg State University Bobcats on Saturday (Apr. 27) in the First Round of the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament. The Seahawks ten victories this season was their highest total since they won 12 games in the 2013 season.
How It Happened
- The first quarter of action was dominated by the Bobcats as they kept the Seahawks scoreless and took a 5-0 lead after the opening stanza. Frostburg brought their first quarter momentum into the second with a goal at the 11:56 mark of the second. However, the momentum swung to the Seahawks when they wrapped up the second stanza with five unanswered goals.Ray LaPlaca,Max Groen,Ben Claffee,Jeremiah Clemmer, andErich Wuesthoffrecorded goals to trim the Bobcat lead to one.
- St. Mary’s College opened the second half with a goal fromAbe Hubbardand tied the game 6-6. Next, the Bobcats found their offensive rhythm once again with a three goal run to end the third quarter.
- Frostburg built their lead to 11-6 with two scores to begin the fourth quarter. However, the Seahawks stormed back with a four goal scoring burst to bring themselves within one of the Bobcats.LaPlaca,Clemmer,Dominic Venanzi, andConnor Benhofffired shots into the back of the cage during the run.Benhoff’sgoal was scored with 44 seconds remaining and the Seahawks needed to win the ensuing faceoff. With short time remaining, the Bobcats won the faceoff to close out the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Clemmer(2g, 1a) andBenhoff(1g, 2a) led the Seahawks on the offensive end with three points.Claffee(1g, 1a),Groen(1g, 1a), andLaPlaca(2g) also contributed offensively with two points each.
- On the defensive end,Tommy Rinderled St. Mary’s College with three caused turnovers and four ground balls. In goal,Ross Snodderlycollected 10 saves.