News Release, St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office
On June 30, 2019, at approximately 9:18 p.m. deputies from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to the 22900 block of Town Creek Drive in Lexington Park, for the reported motor vehicle accident.
The investigation determined a Ford truck being operated by Zachary Allan Kiger, age 30 with no fixed address, had been involved in a single vehicle accident, causing damage to property. A witness advised the operator exited the vehicle, made suicidal statements and indicated he was in possession of a firearm.
A perimeter was immediately established by officers on the scene and nearby residents were contacted via “CodeRED” and advised of the situation. “CodeRED” is an emergency notification system that delivers a recorded message to affected areas.
Kiger was located in the area shortly after the incident and taken into custody. Located in Kiger’s pocket was a CDS smoking device containing suspected cocaine residue. Kiger was also found to be under the influence of alcohol. Located in the bed of the truck Kiger was operating was a black powder revolver.
Kiger was transported to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital for treatment and once released he was transported to the St. Mary’s County Detention and Rehabilitation Center and charged with the following:
- CDS: Possession-Not Marijuana
- CDS: Possession-Paraphernalia
- Driving Vehicle While Under the Influence of Alcohol
- Driving Vehicle While Under the Influence of Alcohol Per Se
- Driving Vehicle While Impaired by Alcohol
- Failure to Return and Remain at Scene of an Accident Involving Property Damage
- Person Driving Motor Vehicle on Highway or Public Property on Suspended License and Privilege
Kiger is currently incarcerated at the detention center on a no bond status.