By: David M. Higgins II
Labor Day in the United States of America is a public holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It honors the American labor movement and the contributions that workers have made to the development, growth, endurance, strength, security, prosperity, productivity, laws, sustainability, persistence, structure, and well-being of the country. It is the Monday of the long weekend known as Labor Day Weekend. It is recognized as a federal holiday.
Beginning in the late 19th century, as the trade union and labor movements grew, trade unionists proposed that a day be set aside to celebrate labor. “Labor Day” was promoted by the Central Labor Union and the Knights of Labor, which organized the first parade in New York City. In 1887, Oregon was the first state of the United States to make it an official public holiday. By the time it became an official federal holiday in 1894, thirty states in the United States officially celebrated Labor Day. (via Wikipedia)
In accordance with the U.S. Holiday, the Southern Maryland Governments will have a different schedule. Below is the following schedule given by each counties Public Information Office:
The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners announces county offices will be closed Monday, Sept. 2, 2019, in observance of Labor Day. In addition:
- County senior centers will be closed and Meals on Wheels will not be delivered. However, participants will be provided with shelf-stable meals in advance.
- There will be no county bus service Monday, Sept. 2. Regular service will resume on Tuesday, Sept. 3.
- Calvert Library locations will be closed Saturday, Aug. 31 through Monday, Sept. 2. Online services and electronic checkouts will be available.
- All community centers will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2.
- All recreation parks including Dunkirk, Hallowing Point, and Cove Point parks will be open normal hours.
- The Appeal Landfill and all county customer convenience centers will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2.
- The Water & Sewerage billing and customer service office and the Solomons Septage Receiving Facility will be closed Monday, Sept. 2. On-call crews will be available for water and sewer service emergencies only at 410-535-3491.
- Chesapeake Hills Golf Course will be open Monday, Sept. 2, with normal hours.
- The Calvert Marine Museum will be open Monday, Sept. 2, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The museum store will also be open from 10:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Kings Landing and Flag Ponds Nature parks will be open Monday, Sept. 2, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Battle Creek Cypress Swamp will be open Monday, Sept. 2, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Kings Landing pool will be open with regular hours all weekend and will close for the season at 7:45 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 2.
- Cove Point Park pool will open with regular hours all weekend and will close for the season at 8 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 2.
- Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center will be closed for the holiday weekend and is scheduled to reopen after several weeks of maintenance on Tuesday, Sept. 3 at 6 a.m. The aquatic center’s hours of operation will be Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Breezy Point Beach & Campground will be open with normal operating hours.
- The Solomons Visitor Center will be closed Monday, Sept. 2.
- The Linda L. Kelley Animal Shelter and Animal Control Division will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2.
The County Administrator wishes to remind residents of changes to normal operating schedules for the month of September. All offices, facilities, and services not listed will be operating their normal hours.
Monday, Sept. 2 (Labor Day)
- All Charles County Government offices and the Tri-County Animal Shelter in Hughesville will be closed.
- The Charles County Landfill and Recycling Center on Billingsley Road in Waldorf and the Pisgah Recycling Center on Route 425 in Pisgah will be closed.
- Curbside recycling and yard waste collection will be delayed one day for the remaining week, Tuesday, Sept. 3 through Saturday, Sept. 7.
- VanGO services will not be operating.
- The Nanjemoy Community Center, senior centers, Port Tobacco Recreation Center, Elite Gymnastics, and all school-based community centers are closed.
- All indoor pools will be closed.
- All outdoor pools will open noon – 5 p.m. for open swim (La Plata, Thomas Stone, and McDonough).
- Charles County Public Library is closed from Saturday, Aug. 31 – Monday, Sept. 2 (All branches).
- Charles County Department of Health is closed.
St. Mary’s County
In observance of Labor Day, Monday, September 2, 2019, St. Mary’s County Government announces the following closures:
- All administrative offices will be closed.
- The St. Andrews Landfill and six (6) Convenience Centers will be closed
- The St. Mary’s Transit System and the Specialized Statewide Transportation Assistance Program (SSTAP) will be closed on Monday, September 2, 2019.
- The Garvey, Loffler and Northern Senior Activities Centers will be closed Labor Day.
- All St. Mary’s County Libraries will be closed Monday, September 2, 2019.
- The Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and St. Clements Island Museum will both be open Monday, September 2, 2019, from 10 am – 5 pm.
- All offices and services will operate under normal hours on Tuesday, September 3, 2019.