News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ASHLAND, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s soccer (1-1) fell to the Randolph Macon College Yellow Jackets (2-0) on Sunday (Sept. 1) in non-conference play. This was the Seahawks’ first game on the road.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks put up a good fight to start off the match against the Yellow Jackets with the half nearing a scoreless end. In the 44th minute, the Yellow Jackets recorded the first score of the game for the early advantage.
- Only 13 minutes into the second half, first-year defender Kaitlyn Steigner‘s shot found the back of the net. Junior midfielder, Alecia Rotunno recorded her second assist this season on the Seahawks’ lone goal of the evening. The first-year goalkeeper, Audra Haines saw a lot of action this evening facing six total corners, four of them being in the second half. Haines had six total saves in the contest compared to RMC goalkeeper, Christina Newman who had one.
- The match nearly finished as a draw, until the Yellow Jackets buried a shot into the back of the net to break the tie. RMC extended their lead to two scores when they tallied a goal in the final three seconds of regulation.
Inside the Box Score
- Steigner continues to shine with the second goal of her collegiate career. Rotunno continues to impress Seahawk fans with her second assist this season.
- RMC outshot SMCM, 18 to four. Nine of those shots were on goal for RMC and two out of the four shots for SMCM were on goal.
- In goal, Haines held her composure well under a lot of action, totaling six saves for SMCM.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 4 at Eastern Mennonite | 7:00 p.m. | EMU Turf Field
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks