By Ensign Crysta M. Gonzalez, Naval Education and Training Command Public Affairs
PENSACOLA, Fla. (NNS) — Sailors whose plans for this fall include taking college courses, should act now to select courses and apply for Tuition Assistance (TA) and Navy College Program for Afloat College Education Distance Learning (NCPACE DL) funding.
TA and NCPACE DL applications may be created, command approved and submitted in MyNavy Education on the Navy College Program (NCP) website as early as 120 days in advance of the school’s published term start date. All applications must be submitted and command approved no later than 14 days preceding the academic institution’s published term start date.
First-time Sailors planning to use TA and/or NCPACE DL programs are required to complete the following MyNavy Education training before applying:
(1) Navy Tuition Assistance training: This covers Navy TA policy and the WebTA application process. For NCPACE, “NCPACE Policy and Procedures” training covers the NCPACE DL policy and application process.
(2) “Navy Virtual Counseling 101” training: This helps you establish education and career goals, select and apply to an academic institution, and understand the higher education life cycle. This training will help to prepare you for your academic counseling with a Navy College Education counselor.
Additionally, Sailors must:
(1) Receive academic counseling from a NCP counselor. Sailors may schedule appointments with either the Navy College Virtual Education Center (NCVEC) or their overseas Navy College Office (NCO) via the online appointment-scheduling tool on the MyNavy Portal website at: https://www.mnp.navy.mil/group/training-education-qualifications/appointment-scheduler.
(2) Upload an unofficial education plan to your MyNavy Education record before enrolling in any classes. Additionally, upload an official education plan once issued by your academic institution. This is required after the first nine semester hours or the equivalent of instruction.
In May 2019, the Navy released NAVADMIN 114/19 that changed eligibility requirements for TA and NCPACE DL funding. The following controls go into effect on October 1, 2019:
(1) All enlisted personnel and officers must have a minimum of two years of service before becoming eligible to use TA or NCPACE DL courses. This may not be waived.
(2) TA and NCPACE DL funding is capped at twelve semester hours (or equivalent quarter hours) per fiscal year.
(3) TA and NCPACE DL funding is capped at 120 semester hours (or equivalent quarter hours) in a career. This excludes courses taken to complete a high school diploma.
Once the application process is complete, MyNavy Education automatically sends the service member a link to MyNavy Education to locate and print the authorization voucher for signing and delivery to the school.
Sailors with questions about the TA/NCPACE DL process or eligibility under the new guidelines may visit www.navycollege.navy.mil. The NCVEC can be reached Monday through Friday 0700-1900 EST by calling or sending texts messages to 1-877-838-1659/DSN 492-4684. For overseas NCO information, visit: https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/contact.htm.
The NCP mobile application offers access to the NCP planning tools, including required training and the counseling scheduler. Sailors can download the app from the Apple or Google Play store at no cost. Search ‘NCP App’ in the stores. Sailors can also get the latest information by following Navy Voluntary Education on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NavyVoluntaryEducation/.
Additional information about the Naval Education and Training Professional Development Center can be found via: https://www.netc.navy.mil/netc/netpdc/Default.htm .