News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
HARRISONBURG, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (2-3,0-0) took on the Eastern Mennonite University Royals (3-2, 0-0) Wednesday evening in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The Seahawks rallied for a 3-1 victory.
St. Mary’s – 3 Eastern Mennonite – 1
How It Happened
- The two teams traded points until the score reached 18-18 in the first set. From there the Royals pulled away to take set number one with a score of 25-19.
- Eastern Mennonite took a 20-17 lead in set two whenEllyse Sutliffstepped up with three straight service aces to bring the score to an even 20-20.Chanel Lucastook a ball fromFatima Bouzidand gave the Seahawks a 21-20 lead. St. Mary’s College would then go on to take the set number two with a final score of 25-22.
- The third set would also come down to the wire as both teams traded blows throughout to get to 23-23.Nicole Kreutzingerended the set with two straight service aces to give the Seahawks a 25-23 win.
- St. Mary’s College would end the match by taking the fourth set by a score of 25-20, which gave the Seahawks the 3-1 victory.
- Lucashad her best match of the year as she led the team with 17 kills. First yearKyra Feinaeurwas second on the team with 9 kills.
- Emily Benedictcontinued to lead St. Mary’s Collegein digs as she collected 15 withKreutzingerright behind her with 11.
- Sutliffhad a match high five service aces for the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 6 at Haverford College against Cabrini College| 5:00 PM | Calvin Gooding Arena
Twitter: @smcseahawks, | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks