News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – On a historic day at St. Mary’s College with the dedication of Jamie L. Roberts Stadium, the Seahawk field hockey (3-0) team defeated Eastern Mennonite University (2-1) in convincing fashion on Saturday (Sept. 7) evening by a final score of 7-1.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College wasted little time to gain a sizable advantage over the Royals in the early stages of the game with three goals in the first quarter.Meghan Ronantacked on the Seahawks first goal of the contest with she ripped a shot into the back of the net in the second minute. Next,Kathleen Stevensfollowed with the Seahawks second score of the game when she buried her shot past the opposing goalkeeper off an accurate assist fromVeronica Maring.Stevenskept her offensive rhythm going when she tallied her second goal of the game in the eighth minute, extending the Seahawk lead to three.
- The second stanza only witnessed one score, but St. Mary’s College still dominated all facets of the game with six shots and three penalty corners. The Royals were unable to earn a penalty corner and didn’t register a shot in the second quarter. The Seahawks extended their lead to 4-0 in the 21st minute with an unassisted goal fromCelina Kaufman.
- St. Mary’s College continued to display their dominance in the third quarter with two more scores.Gabrielle Corderregistered a goal in the 34th minute, whileHannah Dietrichnotched her first goal of the season in the 42nd minute.
- The Royals eventually were able to find the back of the cage in the 52nd minute for their first score of the evening, however, the Seahawks answered with a goal of their own in the 56th minute fromSophie Carlson.
Inside the Box Score
- Stevensled the Seahawks on the offensive end with four points off of two goals.Kaufmanfollowed with three points, thanks to one goal and one assist, respectively. In goal,Kelbey Egerlandearned the victory and the combined shutout withSkylar Limpert.
- The Seahawks held the advantage in penalty corners (9-1) and shots (17-3).
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH |Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks