News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – On a historic day at St. Mary’s College with the dedication of Jamie L. Roberts Stadium, the Seahawk field hockey (3-0) team defeated Eastern Mennonite University (2-1) in convincing fashion on Saturday (Sept. 7) evening by a final score of 7-1.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College wasted little time to gain a sizable advantage over the Royals in the early stages of the game with three goals in the first quarter. Meghan Ronan tacked on the Seahawks first goal of the contest with she ripped a shot into the back of the net in the second minute. Next, Kathleen Stevens followed with the Seahawks second score of the game when she buried her shot past the opposing goalkeeper off an accurate assist from Veronica Maring. Stevens kept her offensive rhythm going when she tallied her second goal of the game in the eighth minute, extending the Seahawk lead to three.
- The second stanza only witnessed one score, but St. Mary’s College still dominated all facets of the game with six shots and three penalty corners. The Royals were unable to earn a penalty corner and didn’t register a shot in the second quarter. The Seahawks extended their lead to 4-0 in the 21st minute with an unassisted goal from Celina Kaufman.
- St. Mary’s College continued to display their dominance in the third quarter with two more scores. Gabrielle Corder registered a goal in the 34th minute, while Hannah Dietrich notched her first goal of the season in the 42nd minute.
- The Royals eventually were able to find the back of the cage in the 52nd minute for their first score of the evening, however, the Seahawks answered with a goal of their own in the 56th minute from Sophie Carlson.
Inside the Box Score
- Stevens led the Seahawks on the offensive end with four points off of two goals. Kaufman followed with three points, thanks to one goal and one assist, respectively. In goal, Kelbey Egerland earned the victory and the combined shutout with Skylar Limpert.
- The Seahawks held the advantage in penalty corners (9-1) and shots (17-3).
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks