HAVERFORD, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (3-5,0-0) continued the Haverford Tournament as they took on Haverford College (8-0, 0-0) and Neumann College (1-7, 0-0). The Seahawks dropped their first match against Haverford 3-1 but bounced back with a 3-2 win over Neumann College in the second match.
How It Happened
- Haverford jumped out to an 8-3 lead in the first set and wouldn’t look back. They extended their lead to 17-6 before eventually winning the set 25-14.
- The second set would mirror the first as the Black Squirrels raced to a 20-9 lead before claiming a 25-13 second set win.
- The third set would be the Seahawks best as St. Mary’s College started with a 18-10 lead which would be extended to 19-10 with an Ellyse Sutliff kill coming off a Fatima Bouzid pass. The Seahawks held a 24-17 lead when Nicole Kreutzinger landed a service ace to give the Seahawks a 25-17 third set win.
- Unfortunately for the Seahawks, Haverford took the fourth set 25-17 to give them the 3-1 match lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Sutliff once again led the Seahawks in kills with 11 and Kyra Feinaeur followed in second with nine.
- Emily Benedict was the top Seahawk for digs with 18.
St. Mary’s College – 3 Neumann College – 2
How It Happened
- The two teams split their first two sets and went into the fifth set all knotted up at 2-2.
- St. Mary’s College would find themselves down 13-12 in the fifth set and only two points away from losing the match. The Seahawks dug in and fought back to bring the match to an even 14-14, until St. Mary’s College pulled away for the 17-15 win.
Inside the Box Numbers
- Chanel Lucas led the Seahawks in kills with 11 with Sutliff, Erin Krauss and Feinauer all in second with ten kills.
- Benedict once again had the most digs with 25 and Sutliff, Lucas and Bouzid all had ten.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 12 vs Notre Dame of Maryland | 7:30 P.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks,
Twitter: @smcseahawks, | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks