News Release, Charles County Public Information Office
The Department of Public Works is hosting an environmental outreach event on Saturday, Oct. 5 from 9 a.m. to noon in the Charles County Government Building parking lot (200 Baltimore Street, La Plata). Backyard composting and rain barrel workshops, as well as free document shredding, are available. Advance registration for workshops is required.
Charles County Government and the University of Maryland Extension staff are offering one-hour workshops for rain barrels and composting. The first rain barrel and compost bin workshops begin at 9:30 a.m.
- Free, secure, on-site shredding services available from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Bring up to five boxes (per vehicle) of personal documents for shredding and recycling.
- The event is for Charles County residents only.
- For more information, call the Department of Public Works’ Environmental Resources Division, 301-932-3599 or 301-870-2778.
Rain Barrel Workshop
- Take home a rain barrel and learn proper in-home installation techniques, practical uses for rain barrels, and how to reduce the impact of runoff on local waterways.
- Become eligible for a stormwater remediation fee credit.
- Advance registration is required. Register at https://go.umd.edu/CCRB-Oct-5-2019, or for more information, call Stephanie Lowery at 301-932-3591 or Jackie Takacs at 240-393-6508.
- The registration deadline is Wednesday, Oct. 2.
- In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn the basics of home composting. Registrants can receive a free plastic GEOBIN® or get instructions on making a wire bin at home.
- Registration is required. Register at compostworkshop.eventbrite.com.
- For more information, call the Department of Public Works’ Environmental Resources Division, at 301-932-3569 or Luke Gustafson at 301-934-5403.
- The registration deadline is Saturday, Sept. 28.
Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.