News Release, Charles County Public Information Office
On Tuesday, Sept. 10, the Charles County Board of Commissioners held a joint public hearing with the Charles County Delegation to receive comments onstate legislative proposals. They considered more than 30 proposals submitted by Commissioners, County Administrator Mark Belton, Charles County Sheriff’s Office, local boards and commissions, local advocacy organizations, and individual requests from the public. These proposals will be discussed between the Delegation and the Board of Commissioners on Tuesday, Sept. 24, at a working session.
Commissioners held the additional public hearings to receive comments:
- Resolutionto authorize submission of an application for a Community Development Block Grant in the amount of $800,000 to pay for operation of a homeless/domestic violence shelter.
- Draft billto amend the Code of Charles County to authorize the Sheriff to appoint school crossing guards if approved and budgeted by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Draft billto make the Code of Charles County consistent regarding vehicle parking laws.
- Commissioners received a briefing and approved aletter from the County Attorneyauthorizing Shlagel Farms to conduct deer-hunting activities on his property at night. The letter will be submitted with Shlagel Farms’ application to renew its Agricultural Deer Cooperator Permit.
- Commissioners received a briefing and approved a request for a public hearing on Tuesday, Oct. 8, to receive comments on modifications to the Financial Assurance Plan for its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. This action is required to fulfill state permit requirements for the county’s watershed protection and restoration plan.
- Commissioners approved aleasefor East Coast Hockey to rent space at the Capital Clubhouse for the purpose of selling sporting equipment and pro-shop for ice skating.
- Commissioners also approved abudget transfer requestof $946,330 from the Water Capital Budget Contingency Fund to the Water Capital Fund Expenditure Fund to pay for costs associated with the Bryan’s Road Well #7.
- Commissioners recognized and congratulated the Charles County Youth League 8U baseball and softball state champion teams. View photo in Flickr.
- Commissioners proclaimed Sept. 17 – 23, as Constitution Week in Charles County and expressed appreciation to representatives from the Daughters of the American Revolution, whose organization initiated the recognition nationally. View photo in Flickr.
- Commissioners presented a proclamation to the Department of Emergency Services staff in recognition of September as National Preparedness Month. View photo in Flickr.